Noise & Vibration Engineer - BSR
Boulder, Colorado, United States
At Apple, extraordinary ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience. Apple has assembled an elite Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and enjoy elegant sound throughout our product line. In Apple Acoustics we work with the utmost attention to detail, directly impacting the design of products that millions of people around the world love! Our Noise & Vibration team contributes to hardware design, validation, and troubleshooting to minimize distracting audible noises and optimize their sound quality. We are a diverse team of acoustics and vibration experts, accomplished listeners, and creative problem solvers. We work daily with multifunctional teams on innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are looking for a Noise & Vibration Engineer, specializing in identifying and addressing buzz, squeak, and rattle (BSR) in consumer products. Could this be you?
- Knowledge of acoustic and vibration principles and how motion of mechanical systems turns into radiated noise
- Acoustic and vibration measurement skills with experience making measurements in anechoic/hemi-anechoic chambers and with data analysis /signal processing methodologies
- Ability to quantify noise response relationship to a system’s excitation (motion, thermal, or other) to effectively guide design improvements
- Accomplished listener with excellent hearing over the audible frequency range
- Ability to effectively communicate complex information and concepts to both
- technical and non-technical audiences
- Creative problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- Useful but not required: familiar with statistical analysis methods, experience with precision-grade instrumentation including ultra low noise measurements, knowledge in electro-magnetic actuators, and familiarity with Matlab or other flexible data analysis software
As a BSR Engineer on the Noise & Vibration team, you will quantify noises, evaluate acoustic performance, facilitate user studies, and establish thresholds in both lab and factory environments. You will collaborate with multi-functional teams to seek, identify source, and fix noises found during testing by providing design feedback to design teams. The analysis of the validation work that you will lead will help you to better understand root causes of various problems. To accomplish these tasks you will author procedures, test plans and specifications. As a part of a team, you will develop and facilitate use of objective test stations. You will work closely with team members who support product development builds at factories, including some potential domestic and international travel (up to 10%).
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics or equivalent field, but if you have followed a different path to expertise in acoustics, vibration, noise control, or sound quality, we want to hear from you.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.