SWE-Senior Robustness Analysis ML Engineer, SIML
Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Machine Learning and AI
Are you passionate about the promotion of inclusion and fairness in AI-enabled features that ship on 1.5B Apple products across the globe? We are looking for a senior ML engineer to lead robustness analysis (RA) for high-visibility Apple features, in close collaboration with R&D and Data teams. You will be joining a newly established team in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Experience with modern machine learning algorithms
- Familiarity with challenges associated to building ML datasets and ML models: definition and coverage of target data distribution, potential biases, potential failure modes
- Strong Python coding skills
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills
- Autonomy and self-drive
- Ability to produce creative and innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Proven experience in mentoring junior team members and in contributing to the growth of a new team
Robustness Analysis is a data driven initiative to monitor ML model performance and to surface, measure and mitigate ML failure modes. This newly established function within the software organization is crucial to deliver incredible experiences to a global and diverse set of users. Specific attention is given to inclusion and fairness. In this position, you will join a team of pioneers and lead RA operations for high-visibility Apple features. This includes: -define axes of analysis relevant to target feature, in collaboration with model and feature DRIs -characterize potential biases in datasets used, and trigger data collection efforts required to conduct experiments -identify potential failure modes -report progress and issues found in technical meetings and sponsor meetings -suggest mitigation options (data and/or model) and lead mitigation experiments, when issues are found -contribute to the emergence of standardized RA processes and tools In addition to your work on features, you will play a key role in the creation of an antenna for our RA function in Europe. This includes: -contributing to the hiring of other team members -mentoring junior ML engineers (technical and soft skills) -establishing strong relationships and identifying areas of potential collaboration with other teams in Europe -proposing and pioneering processes which contribute to the success of individuals and of overall RA function, as well as to a shared team culture, across locations In this position, you will interact with product teams and with R&D DRIs, in Europe and Santa Clara Valley.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field (or equivalent practical experience).
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.