Machine Learning Software Engineer, SIML
Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Software and Services
Can Computer Vision and Machine Learning transform the way people interact with devices? Can it revolutionize how we think about fundamental applications such as communication, photography, health and fitness, home security, digital payments, voice assistants, and many more? We truly believe it can! And we are looking for a motivated and hard-working software engineer who can help deeply integrate AI models into iOS, macOS and other Apple systems. You will work closely with machine learning researchers, software engineers, and product teams to design and implement core functionality that provides ML capabilities centrally in the OS. This is an opportunity to help build the software stack for the next generation of experiences on Apple devices. We are the Human and Object Understanding (HOUr) team within the System Intelligence and Machine Learning (SIML) group. We are an applied R&D team that develops core technologies for visual perception and reasoning of humans that power various applications across the Apple eco-system. Real-time always-on object detection (Center Stage, Cinematic Mode), facial attributes (Photographic Styles), end-end system-wide person recognition (Photos, HomeKit, Memojis, Apple Pay), spoof detection (IDs in Wallet), text ROI detection (Live Text), fine-grained breed classification (Visual Lookup), and image in-painting (Photos Edit) are just some of the core technologies the team has developed that have contributed to some of Apple’s most beloved features recently!
- Write high quality production code
- Strong coding skills in C++ and ability to ramp up quickly in Objective-C and Swift
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Have extraordinary communication skills, for collaborating across many participating teams
- Passion for scalability, reliability, power, and performance in software: both theory and practice
- Enjoy and have experience: building APIs, defining abstractions that model use cases
- Familiarity with ML concepts and multi-modal ML
- Experience with ML-related Apple frameworks is a plus: e.g., CoreML, Vision Framework, ARKit, etc.
As a software engineer in the SIML HOUr team, you will develop new software components to deeply integrate ML-based capabilities centrally in iOS, macOS, and other Apple platforms and accelerate system-wide adoption of these technologies. You will also craft new experiences based on generative modeling and work on integration of multi-modal ML eg Vision and Language. Working on various levels of the stack, such as defining software architecture, contributing to frameworks and daemons, and creating prototype apps. Your work will be cross-functional, interfacing with ML researchers, software engineers, product design, and other teams. You will be expected to deliver high quality code, that is performant, reliable, testable, and documented. Apart from code development, the role will also give you the experience of scoping projects, estimating timelines, cross-functional planning and presenting your work to organization leadership.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a related engineering fields
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.