AIML - ML Research Engineer, MIND
Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Machine Learning and AI
The Machine Intelligence, Neural Design (MIND) group at Apple is spearheading innovative hardware/software co-design for optimizing Machine Learning (ML) on devices, with a particular emphasis on Large Language Models (LLMs). Our team is growing, and we're actively seeking a highly motivated and detail-obsessed Machine Learning Research Engineer. This role requires a strong background in ML and systems, practical software development skills, and a keen understanding of computer vision and multimodal foundation models, although the primary focus remains on LLMs. The ideal candidate will be tasked with pushing the boundaries of ML optimization techniques for more efficient on-device inference, blending innovative research with practical engineering to make a significant impact on Apple's products and the ML research field at large.
- Notable achievements, validated by quality publications in ML optimization - with a focus on LLMs
- Proficiency in Python, PyTorch, and Jax
- Experience in large-scale model training and tuning, particularly LLMs, with additional experience in computer vision models
- Outstanding communication and technical writing skills, capable of conveying complex concepts clearly and efficiently
- Research and advance ML optimization methods, focusing on incorporating insights from computer vision and multimodal models into the efficient on-device application of LLMs - Translate theoretical ideas into tangible innovations, demonstrating their industrial applicability - Work closely with hardware and software teams to integrate research findings into market-ready solutions
Education & Experience
PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a closely-related field
- A strong emphasis on ML, LLMs, as well as a detailed understanding of multimodal models and computer vision
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.