Munich, Bavaria-Bayern, Germany
Software and Services
The Services and Infrastructure team, in Software Engineering, is looking for an experienced Facilities Engineer to oversee a data center in Munich, Germany. S&I is a group of system engineers with a diverse skillset that form the foundation of the build system that is responsible for assembling Apple’s software products and operating systems. This role will focus on data center operations, hardware install and maintenance, disaster recovery, emergency response, and managing projects in a fast-paced environment requiring rapidly shifting priorities. Strong attention to detail, documentation, and communications skill, are key to success in this position.
- Extensive years experience in a production data center with at least a 1000 servers
- Knowledge of high voltage power, UPS, power distribution and generator power systems
- Knowledge of HVAC
- Ability to self-manage large projects including setting and meeting deadlines
- Writing a method of procedure (MOP) to ensure successful maintenances
- Experience with server BMC (e.g HP iLO, Dell DRAC, or IPMI)
- Knowledge of copper and optical cabling best practices
- Preferred Qualifications
- Understanding of European electrical standards
- HP Proliant server troubleshooting
- Extreme or Arista networking experience
- Experience installing NetApp, ExtremeIO and other storage systems (NAS and SAN)
- Scripting and automation
- Monitoring and metrics to gather statistical data for strategic planning
- Understanding of server deployment process using PXE
Work cross-functionally with vendors and variety of other teams e.g. software engineers, maintenance operations, electricians and HVAC contractors. Shipping and receiving procedures; inventory asset management; tracking asset relocation. Process return merchandise authorization (RMA) and warranty issues with vendors/suppliers Install, replace, and maintain, hardware based on rack elevation specs, power requirements, and installation best practices. Hands on and remote troubleshooting and break/fix hardware and linux systems. Working with remote data center service teams. Document policies and procedures.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related work experience
- This role may require traveling to Cupertino, and other Apple locations, up to 20% of the time.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal