Engineering Director, Ads Demand Platform
Software and Services
Role may be located in Cupertino or New York City. Apple is a place where extraordinary people gravitate to do their best work. Together we craft products and experiences people once couldn’t have imagined — and now can’t imagine living without. Are you inspired to make a difference in how digital advertising will work in a privacy-centric world? Join our team to build the next generation of advertising experiences for Apple's customers globally. We work every day to build products that enrich the lives of billions of customers in hundreds of countries. Our team makes it possible for people to easily access informative and imaginative content while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. At the same time and with equal passion, we believe privacy is a fundamental human right. This belief is incorporated into everything we build. The same passion for innovation and customer wellbeing that goes into our products also applies to our practices as a company — strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. The Apple Ad Platforms organization takes a customer-centric approach to building privacy-preserving and principled advertising products, platforms and algorithms that are secure, performant and innovative.
- Strong engineering instincts honed from years of building consumer-focused, global-scale demand platforms or related marketplaces that intelligently and instantaneously match customer interests with products and services across a variety of cultures, languages, media, and distributed infrastructure environments.
- Demonstrated excellence leading people and projects with high emotional intelligence. Lead through influence, constructive debate, and telling compelling stories.
- Self-awareness and savviness in tailoring your message to an audience, delivering it in a clear, concise, and confident manner.
- Attention-to-detail, rigor in delivery, and appreciation that an extraordinary product is the sum of an inordinate number of small, thoughtful decisions.
- Comfort working in ambiguous situations. Strive for creative solutions on your own and with peers at every level of the organization.
- Establish clear and measurable goals. Lead the engineering of complex platforms while you simultaneously deliver and scale a healthy, resilient and sustainable team culture.
We are seeking an Engineering leader to help build the most privacy-forward, technologically sophisticated Demand Side Platform on the planet. Help define and deliver our vision, innovating on some of Apple’s most confidential and strategic plans to design products that deliver business growth for our partners and product experiences that exceed billions of customer expectations. Your primary responsibilities will be to deliver a complex array of high-quality platform features and impactful demand-side ads technologies, working across teams in Services and Software Engineering, AI/ML and Data Science, managing a team of engineers including highly technical, hands-on managers and individual contributors. This leader will be responsible for the success of one of our largest revenue verticals as a company, and therefore requires the comprehensive experience and ability to empower cross-functional teams, communicate vision efficiently and effectively, and be responsible for the agile execution of innovative product delivery. We are building platforms that empower advertisers to personalize their outreach to customers, while protecting those customers' fundamental right of privacy. In turn, those customers will experience a delightful, intuitive experience across Apple's ecosystem knowing their personal information and behavioral data is theirs alone. Responsibilities Working alongside your technical peers, including senior platform architects and Engineering Directors who lead Supply (Marketplace) Platform and cross-platforms Engineering Services, you will help build the future of advertising that will serve as the industry gold standard for high-performant, intelligent, privacy-preserving ad experiences. Create and grow to Apple scale a best-in-class demand platform that enables advertising partners, from individual app developers and independent local businesses, up through giant multinational companies and content publishers across industries, to grow their businesses and delight their customers. Spark brilliance through debate and creative friction with senior business, product, operations and other engineering leaders across Apple. Our ad platforms operate across multiple other Apple Services. Partnering closely with peers in these adjacent teams is critical for success. Lead your own and influence cross-functional teams through all aspects of platform design and development, integrating and building demand side advertising platform requirements that include, among others: Campaign Management Advertiser APIs Reporting Recommendations Bundled Campaigns Audience Selection Advertiser AI Attribution Billing & Payments Measurement Policy Business Metrics
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related subject areas; or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of professional experience building technology platforms, some of that time responsible for building a sophisticated, large scale demand advertising platform.
- 5+ years experience operating as an engineering Director, CTO, Vice President or equivalent executive responsible for building and leading technical teams.
- Career growth highlighted by working collaboratively with Product, Design, and Marketing peers.
- Success in positions of senior leadership, recruiting, developing, and empowering exceptional teams of engineers.
- Track record of building advertising products at mid-size ad-tech startups or large consumer-focused tech companies where ads are a major revenue source.
- An analytical mind with the ability to assess opportunities from many quantitative and qualitative angles.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Ability to influence without authority, sell concepts internally and actively drive decision-making across partners.
- Experience in leading geographically distributed engineering organizations.
- The people here at Apple don't just build products — they build the kind of wonder that has revolutionized how people live. The diversity of our people, their perspectives and their ideas inspire the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental and social efforts.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.