In-Region Product Design Engineer - (Mechanical)
Taipei, Taiwan, Taiwan
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products - they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Why Apple? At Apple we believe our products begin with our people. By hiring a diverse team we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we create memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. We are looking for a Product Design Engineer(PDE) to join our Input Device team. As a PDE you will be responsible for designing the next generation of Apple’s input devices. You will drive the development of the product in a dynamic and fast-paced engineering environment by partnering with multi-functional groups such as industrial designers, operation teams, and hardware engineering teams. We have a firm dedication to fairness and diversity, recognizing that our culture is strengthened through the wealth of perspectives contributed by each employee; we seek to tap into this extraordinary resource and incorporate it into how we do business. Join us and be empowered to do the best and most impactful work of your life.
- High skills for design intelligence: creative problem solving attitude, diligent in seeking the best solution, excellent spatial reasoning skills, attention to detail
- Strong fundamentals of engineering: strength of materials, material science, statics, and dynamics
- Broad knowledge of materials and processes: basic metal forming/machining/MIM/CNC, and sheet metal design; basic polymer injection and 3D printing, general design rules for metals and polymers;
- Flexible design skills: tolerance analysis, design for assembly/manufacturability, multi-functional electro-mechanical integration, design considerations for great volume manufacturing, simple fixture design, developing initial product layouts, understanding of Statistical Process Controls (SPC), functional understanding of various metrology methods, planar mechanism design, and mechanical prototyping
- Working level design validation abilities: identify critical requirements and test methods to evaluate designs, strong failure analysis (FA) skills, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), large data set and computer-aided data analysis, Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Functional at Computer Aided Design (CAD): 3D CAD experience required - NX preferred, 2D drafting with GD&T preferred, data exchange with printed circuit boards (PCB) and flexible printed circuits (FPC), eCAD, electrical mechanical control outline (MCO) generation and ownership
- Having the modules (Key Board/Mouse/Track Pad/Hinge) and enclosures developing and FATP experience is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills: both written and verbal communication, clear communication of design ideas, data presentation, distill and summarize technical problems, lead and contribute to brainstorms
In this highly visible role, you will apply your mechanical design engineering skills to bring products to the market. Your responsibilities include enclosures/modules design and system integration ; prototype creation and demonstration; manufacturing process and fixture design; product analysis and testing; as well as concept generation, discussion, and down-selecting. Experience in crafting mechanical components for high volume manufacturing is preferred, specifically; MIM, sheet metal, die-cast, die-cut, stamped, and machined parts.
Education & Experience
BS experience or equivalent experience in Mechanical engineering