Brittle Manufacturing Design Engineer
Nanshan, Guangdong, China
Operations and Supply Chain
Imaging what you could do here. At Apple, creative ideas have a way of becoming wonderful products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. We provide equal opportunities. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. We don’t just create products - We create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of our people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. In this highly visible role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on Apple Products, and leave a footprint for years to come. We have an opportunity for an accomplished quality engineer to lead development, and ramp for a next generation Apple product from both dimensional and cosmetic perspective. Our quality engineering team enables the mass creation of impossible products as a partner in the development of Apple's renowned designs.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, with good English.
- Good initiative and problem solving skills.
- · Typically requires 5+ years of experience in developing quality plans, designing test methods and gauges, validating test methods and gauges, and driving corrective actions and failure analysis efforts required.
- · Knowledge of quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations. An area of expertise such as a specific process, material or industry is key to show depth of knowledge base.
- · Project management experience and a solid understanding of problem solving tools including design of experiments, root cause analysis and statistical process control principles preferred. · Experience with any of the following: mechanical enclosures, castings, plastic parts, injection molding, tooling, jigs, fixtures, or automotive high volume quality manufacturing engineering. · MS or BS in Engineering required. MBA is a +.
In this highly visible role, you will be responsible for the development work of multi-type Brittle Material components (Glass, Ceramic, Sapphire etc.) and subassemblies of our legendary products across iPhone, Watch, iPad, Mac etc. Design & develop the Brittle Material manufacturing process including: analyzing drawing requirements, proposing process flow, selecting equipments, designing tools/fixtures, driving DOEs to find out the best machine setups and parameters, trouble-shooting dimensional / cosmetic / reliability problems, and finalizing the process solution from prototype stage to mass production stage. Be deeply involved in developing & managing different kinds of processes in the scope of: machining, polishing, Assembly etc. Manage process development, DFM, yield improvement, cycle time reduction, machine & line qualification from each development build stage (eg. Proto/EVT/DVT) to mass production; Work cross functionally with Product Design Engineering to assess product features for manufacturability, and recommend capable production processes and equipment. Work closely with Cupertino-based MDEs in the development of above said processes. Work with Global Supply Managers to develop new equipment from RFQ through factory implementation, and manufacture and deliver material to downstream supply chain nodes on time and on cost. Work with Manufacturing Quality Engineers to drive yield improvement through analysis of part quality, defect pareto, and SPC. A heavy emphasis will be on working with suppliers to define and refine mechanical tooling and fixtures, and establishing process capability and readiness. Coordination of activities and direction through clear communication between the Asia and US-based teams, and vendors is a necessity.
Education & Experience
Strong passion & capability of technical problem solving: engineering principle generation, trouble shooting, “path-to-closure" mapping, innovative idea proposing, DOE planning & execution, data analysis etc. Proficient in mechanical problem solving; skilled in datum, fixture, tolerance stack up analysis, material removal analysis etc. Mechanical Engineering degree or relevant education is preferred. Direct working background or hands-on experience with CNC process, Assembly process, or relevant equipment design & development, is preferred. Familiar with GD&T, DOE, SPC. Good written and oral communication skills; fluent in English. Ability and willingness to work independently and travel frequently. A team player who is self-motivated, result oriented and detail driven.