Audio System Engineer – Beats Audio
Culver City, California, United States
At Apple, extraordinary ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience. Apple has assembled an elite Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and enjoy elegant sound throughout our product line. In Apple Acoustics we work with the utmost attention to detail, directly impacting the design of products that millions of people around the world love! The Acoustics team at Beats Electronics drives the acoustic design and overall sound quality of music playback across the Beats product line. We share a passion for music, acoustics and developing the highest quality sound systems. We are seeking an Audio System Engineer to join our dynamic team of highly accomplished and innovative engineers. Based in sunny Culver City, CA, this person will own active noise cancellation (ANC) development efforts, noise reduction, and its integration into the Beats family of audio products. Does this sound like you?
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in the following:
- Audio technology development and delivery, from concept to mass-production
- Control theory and active noise cancellation techniques
- ANC and transparency tuning and optimization for in-ear, on-ear and over-the-ear headphone products
- Feedback suppression, adaptive filters, and passive noise attenuation
- Hands-on, application-level knowledge of audio electronics, analog and digital signal processing (DSP)
- Audio/acoustic analyzers (e.g. Audio Precision, SoundCheck), headphone/earphone acoustic measurement systems (e.g. B&K, GRAS), and audio interfaces (e.g. Lynx, RME)
- Algorithm simulation in software such as MATLAB and prototyping on real-time hardware platforms
- Listening skills for diagnosing problems in product sound quality
- Measurements in sound isolation and anechoic chambers, and their specification
- Statistical data analysis
As an Audio System Engineer with Beats Electronics, you will specify, develop, integrate, tune, and verify ANC performance on Beats headphone and earphone products. You will be entrusted with implementing & documenting measurements while collaborating with Acoustic Engineering colleagues to optimize ANC in conjunction with overall system sound performance. As part of the product development team, you will work independently as the main Acoustics point-of-contact for ANC performance; interact with Beats/Apple Engineering counterparts and supplier engineering teams to ensure performance targets and delivery milestones are met. You will develop & demo ANC system prototypes, characterize and communicate performance to the team. We will look to you to provide guidance on optimal microphone and driver requirements and locations. Perform competitive evaluation and benchmarking. Additionally, you will engage with NPI and factory engineering teams on bring-up and verification of high-volume production-line calibration and test systems. This will include monitoring and perform statistical analysis on production acoustic test results, to ensure product performance and quality requirements are met with the highest degree of consistency.
Education & Experience
- BS or MS, or equivalent, with specialization in acoustics, audio engineering, or related field - 5+ years engineering experience - 3+ years ANC-related experience
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.