Camera Algorithm Engineering Intern
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Apple's Camera Algorithm team is looking for Masters and Ph.D. students interested in developing next generation image capture, processing and rendering algorithms for camera systems used across Apple products. As part of the team you will research and develop novel ways to improve the image and video quality of Apple’s cameras. The Camera Algorithm team works at the intersection of software and hardware, developing real time algorithms required for camera operation and having major impact on the final image and video quality. The team has a history of delivering solutions running on Apple products, for example Smart HDR or tone mapping for HDR video rendering. This interdisciplinary team works closely with many other teams including silicon design, camera hardware and camera software teams to deliver industry leading consumer imaging devices. The work environment fosters innovation, rapid iteration and awards independence and creativity in solving engineering problems.
- Knowledge of color science, image processing, optics, computer vision
- Experience in camera image processing, including auto white balance, camera color characterization, tone mapping and high dynamic range rendering
- Strong problem-solving and algorithm development skill
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning algorithms is a plus
- Programming skills in Matlab, Python or C/C++
As an intern, you will be responsible for investigating a project related to camera color processing or tone mapping algorithm development. You will prototype an algorithmic solution using tools and methodologies that you deem appropriate for the given problem. You will be expected to evaluate and benchmark your approach against the existing state of the art and you will be encouraged to investigate the computational complexity vs power vs image quality tradeoffs, to bring your solution one step closer to practical implementation on future mobile devices.
Education & Experience
Currently enrolled in your final year of studies in a Master’s or PhD Degree program and ideally studying Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Color/Imaging Science or a related field. This position is a full-time internship and availability for 3 months as a minimum is preferred.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Learn more about your EEO rights as an applicant