Senior Media Experience Software Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Software and Services
Apple is inventing new audio experiences on our newer platforms such as Vision Pro while continuing to add new features and improve quality of our existing platforms such as AirPods, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, HomePods, and Mac. Over the last several years with major contributions from an impactful team, we helped define the spatial audio experiences on Vision Pro as well as contributed to features such as Personalized Volume and Conversation Awareness on AirPods. The team helped expand capabilities of our existing platforms by bringing FaceTime to AppleTV and bringing AirPods automatic switching to macOS. We have been striving to improve quality by increasing the audio responsiveness for the past several years with a pipeline of ideas to continue improving the stack in the future. We play a vital role in the audio stack across all of Apple’s operating systems including iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, tvOS, macOS, and visionOS. We help define how a customer experiences audio across Apple’s ecosystem by working in conjunction with Design and other engineering teams. We track audio events on the system such as a user placing AirPods in their ears while playing media on iPhone speaker and automatically route audio to the AirPods via Bluetooth. If the user then chooses to play media via HomePod, we route audio to the HomePod via AirPlay 2. Extrapolate this to every other way a user would use audio on Apple’s platforms and we are often the brains behind those experiences.
- System level experience of 5+ years and providing technical leadership to establish project specifications by working with cross-functional engineering partners, mentoring and guiding team members and providing technical direction
- Excellent programming skills with expert knowledge in either C, C++ or Objective-C
- Knowledge of multi-threading and high level operating system concepts
- Proficient in debugging and working with large code-bases
- Produce good quality work under tight schedules and rapid development cycles
We are looking for a senior software engineer/lead who can help design and building architectural platforms that hold up over time to the addition of new features and hardware platforms. You will work with Human Interface and other engineering partners and recommend behavioral policies based on hardware and software capabilities and limitations. You will work with quality engineers to develop their test plans for new features to ensure our software ships with the highest quality.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Computer science, Computer engineering, Electrical engineering with System programming focus or equivalent
- Industry Experience working in audio or media software stacks (Not mandatory)
- Occasional travel to collaborate with the team based in Cupertino