Software Engineer - Apple Cloud Infrastructure, Object Storage
Paris, Paris Region, France
Software and Services
The Object Storage team builds and runs the storage system that powers iCloud services used by hundreds of millions of users all over the world. Our software runs at substantial scale with very high reliability requirements. We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join our collaborative, fun, Paris-based development team.
- Experience as a backend software engineer.
- Working knowledge of computer science fundamentals: networking, filesystems, security concepts.
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems
- Experience driving complex projects end-to-end, collaborating across teams and leading other engineers.
- Experience in changing and improving large, existing codebases.
- Experience in an object-oriented language.
- Comfortable with thread safety, non-blocking, asynchronous and concurrent programming.
- Ability to dig in performance issues and debug complex problems.
- Ability to design features and systems, explore trade-offs and discuss choices with the team.
Your work will span the full lifecycle of features: from identifying areas that can be improved, to proposing designs and driving implementation, to rolling out changes by partnering with our SRE team. You will have the opportunity to identify, scope and lead major projects that impact features, reliability, scalability and maintainability of our storage system. You will mentor other engineers, work across teams to identify improvement areas and build consensus, and participate in roadmap discussions. Most of our code base is in Java but previous knowledge of the language is not a requirement. Knowledge in another similar language like C# is a plus. We are looking for developers with a keen interest in writing readable and testable code, using test-driven development, refactoring and promoting best practices in the team. We are looking for engineers who prefer a collaborative team but are comfortable exploring and ingesting codebases independently. We work in pair-programming among team members about half of the time.
Education & Experience
Technical BS/MS degree or equivalent work experience.
- This role may require occasional international travel/transatlantic travel.
- No French language knowledge is required for this role.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.