Technical Design Producer, Design Automation & Efficiency
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Our Apple Services Product & Design Team is seeking a Technical Design Producer who will help form, refine and reinforce a point of view for automation and efficiency in the growing space of Design deliverables for our products. This person must bring deep media experience and Engineering know-how to meld an automation roadmap vision in the Services space across Apple devices - as well as the tools and technology that powers them. The ideal candidate has 5+ years experience and deep understanding of workstreams and functional specs across modules to enable a unique view for how automation can thrive within one product, while being crafted so others may leverage the technology. They can think systemically about visual design, and see around corners to predict aesthetic outcomes across automated artwork - sometimes numbering in the hundreds of thousands and beyond. They must anticipate the fractal effect of seemingly small product planning choices on the publishing process and resources across international localization and device form factors. This candidate will take in feature and product concepts from Human Interface and Content Design Leads for approaching launches and media experiences, deconstruct the asks down into functional requirements and statements of intent for the content designer and producer creative and publishing processes, and look for openings to thread the needle for automation to reduce manual processes in media production. They also are able to collaborate to find solutions in matters of Engineering scope, can dedicatedly prioritize, and can make independent decisions - yet, know when to press pause and doublecheck on granular intent. When it comes to existing products, it is important to understand user pain-points as the basis for conceptualization of automation opportunities. The Technical Design Producer will work across Design and closely with our Media Technology Design group to ensure that artwork, video and new media constructs function as expected at scale when considering dynamic or data-driven media inputs. This individual is emedded and a key contributor into Product & Design Workflows and can help to guide process efficiencies, provide additional training, troubleshooting, and advocacy for automation and efficiency solutions on an as-needed and ongoing basis.
- 5+ Years working with Design, Engineering, Technology and Production Teams with expert knowledge of the creative technology tools and workflows and an informed point of view on opportunities for efficiency at scale.
- Able to craft compelling arguments to automate results by elucidating upsides of automated design deliverables, by drawing from Design budgets, headcount data and insights from key partners in Design.
- Able to think creatively around perceived limitations, to be used leverage to argue for the advancement of better technology and automation.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and evangelizing technical documentation including Business Requirements, Program Plans, Functional Requirements, Workflows, and prioritized Roadmaps.
- Ability to work closely with Engineering & Operations Teams, Designers, and Design Producers in a seamless manner.
- Strong technical knowledge and ability to act as an advisor on best practices as it relates to process and design, tooling, or production needs.
- Proactive problem solving abilities and ability to manage challenging priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to clearly articulate non-technical needs to technical audiences (and vice versa).
- Ability to understand and support the design creation process and envision automation shortcuts that allow design teams to continue focusing on creative work without being encumbered by sheer volume across localizations and platform variants.
- Experience working with external vendors on clear scopes of work.
- Ability to investigate issues and clearly articulate Design’s point of view.
- Presentation skills are a must to ensure understanding of complicated problems at Executive review level.
- Discretion in handling confidential materials.
- Create, own, and maintain documentation that captures Product & Design needs, automation priorities and functional capabilities of existing systems. Get consensus and work with key partners to maintain understanding across all teams including (but not limited to) Content Design and Engineering. - Ongoing awareness of manual pain-points that affect Design and Production teams, to foster the empathy needed to disrupt those patterns with automation. - Facilitate and advise on launching wholly or partially automated Design systems and deliverables. - Advise on methods and process for graduating manual deliverables to different levels of automation, all while maintaining total control when needed. - Contribute to trainings for new & existing workflows and tools. - Reconcile Engineering limitations with Content Design constraints. - Maintain schedule for Design deliverables, work with appropriate Producers, and communicate those to Engineering Program Manager. - Set up use cases for Development and User Acceptance Test sessions coordinated by Engineering Program Manager. If you have an insatiable desire to help create the best media experiences and empower the endless potential of Apple’s groundbreaking creative teams, we would love to hear from you.
Education & Experience
BA/BS or equivalent