Platform Kernel Engineer
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Software and Services
Are you a big-picture thinker who loves setting ambitious goals? Do you have a passion for understanding how each line of code affects all the others? In the Core Operating Systems group, you’ll ensure the OS is inseparable from each device’s identity as a whole. That’s because this group is committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies, such as iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. By crafting these distinct, holistic user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the excellence people expect from Apple devices. The Darwin kernel team within Apple’s CoreOS organization is looking for an exceptional experienced performance engineer to work on our state-of-the art operating systems for the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, AppleTV, and several other secret projects. By working inside the core layers of Apple's operating systems, you will have the opportunity to have a major impact on the end user experience of all of Apple's consumer operating systems products. You’ll be working as part of a highly skilled engineering organization in the exploration, design, and implementation of new ideas that will drive the future of Apple’s technology and business.
- Deep and current understanding of the C programming language
- Genuine passion for kernel and low-level systems technology
- Passion for performance analysis, tools, and engineering processes
- Strong knowledge in one or more kernel technical areas in a related OS
- Experience with statistical techniques relevant to performance analysis
- Excellent collaborative skills including written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of hardware architecture and ARM/x86 assembly programming
- Strong ability to influence others while building lasting relationships
Work within a highly skilled engineering team in the design and implementation of kernel and low-level OS technologies and performance infrastructure and tools. Identify root causes and solutions to challenging performance issues. Prototype proposed changes and work across team boundaries to drive performance features and improvements across organizations that will surprise and delight our customers.
Education & Experience
MS or higher in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience/skills