Technical Sound Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are looking for a Technical Audio Designer to help prototype and define new audio UI/UX paradigms and experiences. You will work closely with the audio software, experience prototyping, and retail teams to guide the future of Apple’s audio technology and experiences. You should have a background in sound design for interactive experiences using spatial audio. Responsibilities include: • Collaborating with Apple design and retail teams on new audio technology explorations • Design and implement unique and compelling sound assets for the interactive experiences • Define UX for new first party applications • Mentor audio team members • Troubleshoot and help fix audio bugs
- You have strong, demonstrable sound design and editing skills
- Experience integrating sound assets with audio engines such as AVAudioEngine, FMOD, or WWise
- Experience using game engines such as RealityKit, Unity, or Unreal
- Experience coding in a language such as Swift, Objective-C, C# and/or C++
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in the following strongly preferred:
- Sound design for games or art installations
- Running DAW software such as Logic, ProTools, REAPER, etc.
- Experience w/ MaxMSP, PureData, or other audio prototyping environments
Apple’s advanced spatial audio technology is a cornerstone of our augmented reality frameworks; it is at the core of any compelling user experience. You will have the opportunity to build software that directly impacts how customers use our products. We work closely with Apple's human interface design team and our internal audio software teams to define and develop the next generation of audio experiences and applications. The ideal engineer for this role is comfortable working in a dynamic and creative team charged with exploring an uncharted and rapidly evolving domain. You will be researching and developing entirely new apps and experiences, a challenge that will demand rapid experimentation and prototyping without sacrificing code quality or attention to detail. You'll need a keen understanding of the state of the art in interactive 3D audio applications and an ambition to discover what the future holds in this space.
Education & Experience
BS, MS or PhD - audio related field