Carrier Technical Lead
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Software and Services
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. You will join the Wireless Software Engineering team and drive innovation that matters. If you're passionate about cellular and wireless technology, we may have the job for you. The Carrier Technical Lead (CTL) is charged with taking Apple products through technical approvals with wireless carriers. The CTL's are the expert advisors for wireless engineering matters and responsible for all day-to-day technical support and fixing with their carriers. Besides making the technical extension between carriers and our development and testing teams, you will collaborate with multi-functional teams including Sales and Marketing.
- Minimum of 8 years prior experience working on phones or similar products that operate on cellular networks.
- Minimum of 5 years direct experience working with one or more carriers to deliver on their network, including supporting lab/field testing.
- Extensive proficiency and proven experience analysing full stack logs and fixing wireless features and protocols for IMS, LTE, 3G and 2G.
- Experience with IMS projects (WiFi Calling, VoLTE)
- Deep understanding of network cellular features and familiarity with current deployments across carrier networks.
- Program/project management experience delivering complex technical projects.
- Ability to establish relationships multi-functional with both internal and external teams.
- Strong issue tracking/management abilities
- Knowledge and meaningful experience with device certification requirements and processes in Canada.
- Obsessively hardworking and inquisitive, and seek to tackle everyday problems in innovative ways.
- Fluency in English, Portuguese and Spanish.
You will be responsible for introduction and trial of new wireless technologies and network-impacting features in Apple products. Certification process will involve reviewing carrier’s network design, drive carrier’s testing and identifying critical issues and help them in resolving the issues for successful launch of Software, Hardware and Projects. You will own the investigation of carrier issues and partner closely with carrier personnel and our wireless development teams to debug and resolve issues. In addition, you will assist carriers with testing and work with them on the verification of fixes in new iOS software builds, prototype hardware, or network changes. You will act as the first level interface for carrier technical requests to reduce overhead on the R&D teams. Reporting project status's, prioritizing tasks and raising meaningful issues to senior management.
Education & Experience
Bachelor/Master Degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science or relevant experience.
- Strong technical knowledge of industry standards and tracing tools used for logs analysis and troubleshooting.
- Basic understanding of VoLTE (Voice over LTE) and WiFi Calling technologies.
- Intimate knowledge of standard development organizations and industry forums.
- Layer 1 measurement and analysis.
- Familiarity with Wi-Fi/BT communications systems.
- Programming or scripting (Perl, Python) experience is a plus.
- Able to travel internationally.