App Store - Senior Data Engineer
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Software and Services
When this team introduced the App Store, it launched a cultural and economic phenomenon that changed the way people live, work, and play. These engineers continue to innovate the platform, now home to over 1.5 million apps — each created using the team’s own software development kit and related services. All those apps mean the store takes billions of requests from more than 500 million visitors every week, across iOS, macOS, tvOS, iPadOS, and watchOS. To deliver such a rich experience at this scale, the engineers build high- performance systems backed up by persistent systemwide A/B testing. And to help people discover apps they love, the team uses machine learning techniques that include natural language processing to develop new algorithms for personalization, search, and recommender systems. In a world where apps have become essential in people’s daily lives, the App Store team has become essential to Apple’s business.
- 5+ years of programming experience
- Proven understanding on the following distributed data processing platforms: Spark, Hadoop
- Solid understanding of HBase, Kafka, Java Map Reduce or Scala
- Experience developing new algorithms and data structures to process large scale data efficiently
- Distributed Algorithms to process and mine data, e.g. Map Reduce Algorithm
- Able to gather multi-functional requirements and translate them into practical engineering tasks
- Graph, Data classification and clustering algorithms in distributed environment
- Good debugging, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge in engineering machine learning, feature engineering systems is desired
- Ability to stay focused and prioritize a full workload while achieving extraordinary quality
The Apple Mediate Products Analytics team is responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting on customer experience data. From this data we generate insights into how customers interact with our products, and use these insights to drive improvements to user-facing features. As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will have significant responsibility and influence in shaping its future direction. This role is inherently cross-functional and the ideal candidate will work across disciplines. We are looking for someone with a love for data and ability to iterate quickly on all stages of data pipeline. This position involves working on a small team to develop large scale data pipelines and analytical solutions using Big Data technologies. Successful candidates will have strong engineering skills and communication, as well as a belief that data driven processes lead to phenomenal products.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or masters degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience. Apple is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Apple does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.