iCloud - Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
The Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) position requires a mix of strategic engineering and design, along with hands-on, technical work to build and own the services that millions of customers use every day. Your background may be as Systems Administrator, who has moved on to DevOps/Automation in their career. You'll configure, tune, and troubleshoot multi-tiered systems to achieve optimal application performance, stability and availability. The strongest candidates will have both solid Linux / Systems expertise and demonstrated Software Development abilities. Our customers count on us to provide exceptional availability, scalability and security for services. As an SRE at Apple, you'll be on a team whose mission it is to build and improve Apple's most critical Internet services.
- Extensive experience in system administration supporting Linux at scale, including automated OS installation, diagnostic and performance troubleshooting/profiling.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service and integrity, demonstrated through clear communication.
- Have a thorough understanding of cloud based architectures.
- Deep understanding of the Linux operating system and standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, HTTP2, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model and load balancing.
- Strong proficiency with at least one language commonly used for Linux server applications. Examples: Python, GO, Java, C, C++, Swift, etc.
- A systematic, test-and-measure approach to continually improving service operations.
- Experience with configuration management tools and orchestration systems.
- Experience with Apache Kafka would be advantageous.
- Experience with Splunk or Elasticsearch would be favourable.
- Passion for eliminating toil using automation.
- Experience with containerisation technologies, like Mesos, Docker, Kubernetes.
We own a mix of open source and internally developed tools for system & configuration management, provisioning, software deployment and monitoring. You'll learn these tools and have opportunities to improve them. Our team is collaborative; we work together and with the development teams we support to deliver the best results for Apple. We think rigorously and look for the best solution to the engineering challenges we face, while balancing the need to get things done. Good ideas are heard and results are rewarded. The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated with a passion for perfection, quality and detail. You'll support operations, but also work closely with the development engineers within the team to aid in architectural design and assist with the implementation of complex features. Responsibilities of the SRE include the following: Passion for quality and automation, an ability to understand complex systems and a desire to constantly make things better. Support the day-to-day operations of the environment including deploying, monitoring, measuring and troubleshooting infrastructure and services. Automate all the things by identifying, owning, collaborating, and driving new or further automation to enhance the consistent stability of the environment. Measure and optimise system performance. Document system design and procedures. Explore and evaluate new technologies and solutions. Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively across multiple business and technical teams. Act as a mentor and interact with people at all levels of ability. Participation in a regular on-call rotation to support the infrastructure 24/7. This role may require occasional international/transatlantic travel.
Education & Experience
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.