Firmware Engineer (Wireless Design division)
Uxbridge, Greater London, United Kingdom
We’re looking for engineers with an Embedded Software and Firmware design background to join the growing Instrument Engineering team at Apple. This small team of world-class engineers designs and produces precision RF and Analog Test Equipment for use in calibrating and testing the Cellular, WiFi/BT and NFC radios in millions of iPhones, iPads, Macs and Watches. All members of the team bring their own unique expertise to collectively take internal Apple products from concept to mass production. Each internal product is designed to Apple's exacting standards resulting in beautiful test equipment that maintains the quality, accuracy and function of commercially available offerings. You will already have an impressive track record of success and innovation in at least one of the following disciplines: Embedded SW Design; FW Design; and Embedded System Architecture. By joining Apple’s Instrument Engineering team you will embark upon the best work of your career. Besides excelling in your field, the ability to interact with other groups within Apple, including Physical Design, Thermal, Reliability and Operations, to make a product worthy of the Apple brand is essential. If you’re ready for a challenge and enjoy working in a dynamic environment where your contributions are essential then let us know.
- Extensive experience designing embedded C/C++ firmware for high speed communication devices
- Extensive experience with ARM and USB firmware
- Experience building extensible and robust real-time firmware frameworks;
- Experience designing firmware for one or more of the following wireless communications standards is a plus: WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM, UMTS, CDMA, LTE.
- Fluent in use of lab equipment such as JTAG, USB protocol analyzers, etc...
- Solid multi-threaded programming, revisions control skills.
- Board bring-up and “bare metal” programming experience is crucial.
- Experience with Embedded Linux or RTOS is a plus.
- You will need excellent communicator both written and verbally
- You will need to demonstrate experience of writing design specs and communicate design concepts clearly to DSP, RF Designers and management.
- You will work closely with offshore engineering development and manufacturing partners.
- Should be well organized and have the ability to be flexible in a changing work environment.
You will develop and optimize precision test equipment used by RF automation systems to test Apple’s newest products including iPhone, iPad, Mac and others for different wireless technologies. Duties include design, development, bring-up and debug of a multi-threaded firmware system capable of coordinating multiple gigabit data processing streams. In this role yo will work proactively with other cross- functional engineering groups such as RF System Engineering, and Software engineering. Position will require some international travel.
Education & Experience
BS in CS or EE required, MS in CS or EE preferred