Shazam - Server-Side Software Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Apple Music is all the ways you love music, all in one place. Shazam brings a unique brand of magic to millions every day. Millions of users. Billions of tags. Countless moments of discovery. It’s our people – their imagination, skills and ideas – that shape our future, and help us make the impossible come to life. As a server-side software engineer at Shazam you will collaborate with other engineers and product managers to develop and deploy highly scalable software that serves hundreds of millions of users. The role sits within our server-side team based in our London office, the tech hub of Shazam. The teams have autonomy in choosing technologies, designing solutions and bringing improvements. The server side software runs on a Linux environment and uses GCP and AWS cloud technologies. The software is written in Java, Kotlin and GoLang.
- Team-based software engineering and development experience in Java, Kotlin or GoLang.
- Understanding of cloud technologies (e.g. GCP, AWS).
- A professional engineer who loves getting their hands dirty in designing, analysing and troubleshooting large software systems
- Dedicated lifelong learner who is always looking for new things to learn and try
- Professional engineer who loves designing, analysing and troubleshooting large software systems
- Excellent communicator who builds collaborative relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, tenacious in sticking with a problem until it's resolved once and for all
- A great teammate, but you can work on your own initiative as well
In this position you will be working on the server-side features that have a significant product impact. You will be collaborating with product managers and to other engineers to work on developing highly scalable APIs that serve millions of users every second. We expect that you will shape our software engineering and server-side engineering practices, to continually improve quality and development efficiency. You will be involved in daily huddles and discussion regarding ongoing issues and future plans, you will refactors existing code to drive up quality and contribute to system architecture and design activities.
Education & Experience
Degree (or equivalent experience) in Computer Science or related discipline
- Always actively looking for ways to improve Shazam's services, and take a personal ownership for the quality of the services we offer
- Demonstrate personal accountability, owning the decisions and mistakes that you might make