Apple Cloud Services - Software Engineering Manager
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Swift Server Core Libraries team at Apple is responsible for building and maintaining critical Swift on Server libraries for both Apple and the open source community. This team is responsible for contributing to the ongoing health of the Swift on Server open source ecosystem, as well as building rock solid foundations for building both current and future Apple cloud services. We’re a diverse collection of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining our products, systems, and practices to help people do what they love in new ways. This is a deeply reciprocal place, where everything we build is the result of people in different roles and teams working together to make each other’s ideas stronger. That same real passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices, strengthening our dedication to leave the world better than we found it.
- Management experience leading a software development team.
- Strong technical skills in one or more of the following areas: low-level code, high performance software, networking, API design.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with open source software communities.
- Experience enabling career development for individual contributors at a wide range of career stages.
- A deep commitment to software quality and technical excellence.
The team is seeking a software engineering manager who will be responsible for leading a team focused on building open source Swift Server software frameworks, such as SwiftNIO. This team requires a manager that thrives in collaborative, open source environments, that can enthusiastically advocate for and evangelise the work done by their team, and that has an uncompromising dedication to shipping high quality, reliable software. The position requires strong communication skills as well as a deep well of technical experience in some or all of low-level engineering, high performance code, or computer networking, as well as a passion for open source work. A great candidate will be someone who can build relationships and collaborate across the company, working together with a disparate range of other teams in order to serve their needs and build the best possible tooling. The software built by this team is used in backend services written in Swift used by Apple in production today. This team has a unique opportunity to lay the foundations of Swift on Server, to define what it means to build services, and to shape this ecosystem both within Apple and in the wider community for the decade to come.
Education & Experience
• BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- • Lead a successful and driven team of software engineers.
- • Collaborate effectively with teams inside Apple and in the external open source community.
- • Advocate for and drive the evolution of open source & Swift on Server.
- • Enabling the career development of a team at a wide range of career stages.
- • Contributing to the technical work done by the team.