POS Production Engineering - Service Reliability Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — we craft the kind of wonder that’s revolutionised entire industries! It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that supports the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it! IS&T Point of Sale (POS) Engineering is responsible for the technology and IT systems used to enable Apple Retail Stores to service millions of customers enabling Apple Retail to become one of the best retailers in the world. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Do you enjoy solving complex business problems with process and technology? Do you thrive in environments that require multi-functional thinking, collaboration, and innovation? If so, this may be the job for you.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication.
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation
- Demonstrated ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like: Java or Python
- Experience in Databases & SQL
- Experience in Containers, Kafka, Solr, Zookeeper
- Experience in Cloud based platforms
- Understanding of Linux Operating Systems
- Experience with configuration management systems like Ansible
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: DNS, TCP/IP and Load Balancing.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with a group of “A” player software engineers from related but different backgrounds to make POS truly innovative. To be successful in this role, the candidate must be hands-on, proactive, talented at problem solving, have the mindset to challenge the norm and have a strong desire to learn and work towards excellence. Apple is looking for an individual that takes pride in crafting solutions to enhance product delivery by architecting and leading distributed compute platforms and application services. This engineer needs to work closely with cross-functional teams to identify potential solutions and go on to work with the engineering teams to properly test and deploy changes. Critical thinking, writing solid and clean code, planning, documenting, and communicating within the team and cross-functionally is essential to the success of the role. Their role will include: - Architecting systems for high availability and scalability through collaborative working with global counterparts. - Deploying application releases and code from Development into Production - Shepherding applications through the software delivery life cycle: - Lead or participate in the development of functional requirements and technical specifications - Incident management - Coordinate development efforts of vendors, contractors, and shared service groups - Develop and maintain a working knowledge of trends and standard methodologies within Apple - Setup and analyse application health metrics and provide solutions to ensure stability - Support in the verification of data within POS ahead of product launches
Education & Experience
BA/BS degree or equivalent preferred
- - Willing to work on-call rotation.
- - Strong attention to detail and excellent analytical capabilities
- - Experience troubleshooting problems and working with a team to resolve large scale production issues.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.