RTL Design Engineer
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. The RTL Design team at the in Cambridge works on complex, large-scale media IPs. We partner with our architecture, functional verification, and physical design teams to deliver high quality media IP in order to meet performance, feature, timing, area, and power goals.
- Previous complex IP design experience is required.
- Experience working on media IPs is desirable but not required.
- Deep understanding of implementing modern design techniques.
- Hands on experience with energy-efficient/low-power logic design.
- Strong background in one or more of: high-speed Integer/floating-point numeric units, 2D digital filters, Image/video signal processors, GPU, CNN, CV, crossbar fabrics, controller blocks (DMA, Cache controllers etc..) and bus-interface subsystems
- Well-versed in logic optimisation, lint, synthesis, timing and performance analysis
- Familiarity with DFT, LEC, formal tools for FE QoR and CDC/RDC.
- Fluency with RTL Verilog/VHDL syntax and hardware modelling.
- Familiarity with logic simulation and debug environments as well as formal verification.
- Familiarity with common on-chip bus protocols such as AMBA (AXI, AHB, APB)
- Familiarity with scripting and programming experience using several of the following: Perl/Python, C/C++, and TCL/Bash
- Ability to work well in a team and be productive under tight schedules.
- Excellent communications skills, self-motivated and well-organised.
You will work closely with other designers to refine media IP micro-architectural specifications as well as collaborate with the architecture, physical design and verification teams to identify potential issues as early as possible. You will implement the micro-architecture, targeting cutting-edge technology nodes, balancing energy efficiency, performance and area constraints with project schedule, maintainability and coding elegance. You will review synthesis and power reports, root-cause and resolve timing and power issues and ensure maximal QoR throughout your design. As your design approaches functional completion, your task will be to work closely with the verification team to ensure the design behaves as intended and is tested thoroughly. At this point, there will be ongoing collaboration with the physical design team to help with any adjustments necessary to produce an optimal layout of the design, in its context. Once your design is integrated into the system as a whole, you will be simulating and debugging issues both within and around your design.
Education & Experience
BSc/MSc/BEng/MEng/PhD in related field