Apple Cloud Services - Data Infrastructure Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Come help us build the next generation cloud platform to support internet services across Apple. Our infrastructure engineering team develops and deploys software which forms the foundation for some of our most meaningful services, including iCloud, Maps, iTunes, and more. Our software ensures that Apple's services are reliable, scalable, fast, and secure. In this role you will have the rare opportunity to own and deliver key components in Apple's growing suite of infrastructure services. We are looking for a highly-skilled Infrastructure Engineer with experience in developing processes, tools, and automation for managing distributed systems in production environments. We balance our time across automating operations for our growing footprint of deployments, building self-service products to empower internal customers, and growing the reliability of our services with application and systems-level improvements. We’re looking for someone who has developed infrastructure services — but we value potential as highly as experience. You’ll be familiar with the broader field of distributed queues, storage, and data streaming, and you're excited by the prospect of working collaboratively with other groups to deliver truly amazing services to our users. You will be able to demonstrate a strong practical understanding of how to develop and operate fault-tolerant, high-performance distributed systems. You're also passionate about applying practical systems-level knowledge to understand and solve problems under and over the hood.
- Knowledge of Linux, operating systems, networking protocols, security, and file systems.
- Familiarity with DNS, HTTP, message queues, queueing theory, RPC frameworks, databases, and Linux tools.
- Experience in crafting, implementing, and managing systems that offer self-service and self-healing capabilities.
- Real passion for building automation tools, with a focus on writing high-quality code, tests, and documentation.
- Familiarity in systems-level or Java essentials: garbage collection internals, concurrency models, async IO, off-heap memory management, etc.
- Understanding of SRE principles and goals (SLI/SLOs, release management, monitoring and alerts).
- Excitement for Agile methodologies: pair programming, TDD, and continuous delivery of software.
- Great interpersonal skills and a deep sense of ownership for small tasks and large projects alike.
• Develop creative and robust software solutions for automating the operations of large distributed systems. • Build tools and processes that enable effective monitoring, debugging, and capacity planning of production clusters. • Work closely with other software and systems engineers to improve the availability, reliability, utilization, and scalability of our services. • Support engineering teams in integrating with mission-critical infrastructure services. • Participate in an on-call schedule that's shared with team members in the UK and US.
Education & Experience
• Degree in Computer Science, a related discipline or meaningful industry experience.
- • Experience or excitement for developing, deploying and operating stateful systems in production environments, including automating build outs, monitoring, and configuration.
- • Knowledge and experience with Big Data technologies such as Apache Kafka, ZooKeeper, NATS, Active/Open/RabbitMQ, Cassandra.
- • Experience with Kubernetes.
- • This role may require occasional international travel/transatlantic travel.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.