Apple Cloud Services - Services Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Imagine what we could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job, and there’s no telling what we could accomplish! The Protected Cloud Compute team is responsible for building a platform powering mission critical systems at Apple. We are incorporating Apple’s unique privacy focus, to make sure computation on customer data is end to end protected. This is a unique opportunity for a passionate software engineer to bring their deep expertise of backend systems and apply it to a nascent technology stack. This is your chance to put a dent in the Universe. You will work with extraordinary teams in London and Cupertino who have a real passion for engineering excellence and providing strong privacy guarantees to end users.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong technical skills in one or more of the following areas: scalable backend system architecture, micro-services, distributed systems.
- Application development in a native language, such as Swift, C, C++, or Objective-C.
- Enjoys working with others in dynamic, multi-functional software development environments.
- Understanding of low-level systems development, for example kernel internals, hypervisors, embedded systems.
- A deep commitment to software quality and technical excellence.
We are designing, building and supporting a novel, privacy-focused server platform. We're using it as the foundation of a new wave of services at Apple, and it will serve as a building block for other teams to implement their own applications. Our work has impact for hundreds of millions of users and is critical to the success of some of the most transparent features of Apple's ecosystem. This person will have a substantial amount of individual responsibility and influence over the direction the backend of many critical Apple internet services take for years to come. You will have ideas and a real passion for software focused on privacy and security. You will also be experienced with working on large scale cloud services. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Education & Experience
BS, MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of security, and cryptography, for example TLS, cryptographic chain of trust.
- Experience with virtualisation technologies.
- Experience with one or more major Cloud platforms.
- Overview of Linux/hardware isolation techniques, for example seccomp, SGX.