Apple Podcasts - Software / Data Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Podcasting was born on iPod, and this team’s work has led the category ever since. Today, podcasts are a worldwide phenomenon, and these engineers continue to evolve the Apple Podcasts app and ecosystem across all our devices. And for podcast creators, networks, and advertisers, the team created Podcast Analytics, which gives insights into completion rates and subscription data for their listeners worldwide. A strong machine learning focus helps the team improve search and recommendations, so listeners can easily discover podcasts they’ll love from well over a half million offered. As podcast fans themselves, these engineers love shaping a medium that’s just begun to show its potential to entertain, inform, and inspire. That passion is just one reason why Apple Podcasts remains the world’s most popular podcast app, giving this small team a huge influence on the industry. Join them and make some impact of your own. Areas of work include macOS/iOS Engineering, Full-Stack Engineering, Front-End Engineering, Back-End Engineering, Quality Engineering, Machine Learning Engineering, Data Science, Data Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, and Engineering Project Management.
- Significant experience in crafting, implementing and supporting highly scalable systems and services in Java
- Proven knowledge of Algorithms & Data Structures.
- Ability to communicate thoughtfully, demonstrating problem-solving skills and a learning attitude to build long-term relationships.
- Significant experience in designing, implementing & supporting highly scalable systems and services in Java.
- Experience with distributed systems and data storage technologies (see Additional Requirements below).
- Bachelors or equivalent in Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience in two or more Big Data areas is helpful — see Additional Requirements below for examples
Apple Media Products Engineering is the team behind the App Store, Apple Music, iTunes, Podcasts, and many other high profile products on iPhone, Mac and AppleTV. Our Data Engineering team is looking for talented, performance- savvy, engineers to build out the data platform and services which power many of these customer features — existing and new. Our work covers the full stack, from: internet-facing web services, internal services using various flavours of RPC; design and implementation of data pipelines/life-cycles (Kafka); Hadoop infrastructure, strategy and implementation; distributed key-value storage (Voldemort, Cassandra, Redis, etc); and putting all this together to operate live customer-facing features with millisecond-latencies across multiple data centres with petabyte datasets and > 2 billion users. We promote innovation and new technology to further improve our creative output. If you’re an all round and performance-savvy Java server engineer with an interest in, and experience of, large scale Data technologies and systems at an unprecedented scale we’d love to hear from you.
Education & Experience
Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent, Masters preferred
- Experience building and/or using distributed systems, distributed caching, distributed key-value or column stores (e.g. Cassandra, Voldemort, Redis)
- A deep understanding of eventual consistency concepts
- Experience with and understanding of Hadoop-ecosystem technologies such as MapReduce, Spark, YARN/MR2, etc
- Experience in building and running best in class large scale data pipelines, using Kafka, with data ingest to/from multiple sources feeding batch compute components via HDFS and near-realtime components via online key-value storage
- Experience and interest in data modelling and data architecture as optimised for large data patterns (warehousing concepts; efficient storage and query on HDFS; support for relevant realtime query patterns in key-value stores; columnar schema design; etc.)
- A deep understanding of real time advanced analytics fundamentals and associated stream processing tools and techniques is a plus
- Passion for customer satisfaction and strong focus on customer privacy
- Experience with Scala would be an advantage
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.