Apple Media Products (AMP) - Software/Data Engineer: Distributed Systems
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Have you ever imagined what you could do here? At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Apple Media Products Data Engineering team is looking for great engineers. We are looking for the very best people to build and positively improve features and services driving such as, App Store, Apple Music, Podcasts and more. Our team is responsible for many of the key systems powering personalisation features of the AMP ecosystem. This includes features such as ratings & reviews, purchase history, sync services and many more. Here you have a phenomenal opportunity to help build and evolve global-scale, leading-edge dynamic data systems, with positions currently available as we grow our amazing London team.
- Significant experience in crafting, implementing and supporting highly scalable systems and services in Java
- Proven knowledge of Algorithms & Data Structures.
- Ability to communicate thoughtfully, demonstrating problem-solving skills and a learning attitude to build long-term relationships.
- Significant experience in designing, implementing & supporting highly scalable systems and services in Java.
- Experience with distributed systems and data storage technologies (see Additional Requirements below).
- Experience in two or more Big Data areas is helpful — see Additional Requirements below for examples
Our work covers the full stack, from: internet-facing web services, internal services using various flavours of RPC; design and implementation of data pipelines/life-cycles (Kafka); Hadoop infrastructure, strategy and implementation; distributed key-value storage (Voldemort, Cassandra, Redis, etc); and putting all this together to operate live customer-facing features with millisecond-latencies across multiple data centres with petabyte datasets and > 2 billion users. We promote innovation and new technology to further improve our creative output. If you’re an all round and performance-savvy Java server engineer with an interest in, and experience of, large scale Data technologies and systems at an outstanding scale we’d love to hear from you.
Education & Experience
Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent, Masters preferred
- - Experience building and/or using distributed systems, distributed caching, distributed key-value or column stores (e.g. Cassandra, Voldemort, Redis)
- - A deep understanding of eventual consistency concepts
- - Experience with and understanding of Hadoop-ecosystem technologies such as MapReduce, Spark, YARN/MR2, etc
- - Experience in building and running outstanding large scale data pipelines, using Kafka, with data ingest to/from multiple sources feeding batch compute components via HDFS and near-realtime components via online key-value storage
- - Experience and interest in data modelling and data architecture as optimised for large data patterns (warehousing concepts; efficient storage and query on HDFS; support for relevant realtime query patterns in key-value stores; columnar schema design; etc.)
- - A deep understanding of real time advanced analytics fundamentals and associated stream processing tools and techniques is a plus
- - Passion for customer satisfaction and strong focus on customer privacy
- - Experience with Scala would be an advantage
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.