Shazam - Senior Software Engineer (Java, Kotlin or GoLang)
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Apple Music is all the ways you love music, all in one place. Within this team, Shazam brings a unique brand of magic to millions every day. Millions of users. Billions of tags. Countless moments of discovery. It’s our people – their imagination, skills and ideas – that shape our future, and help us make the impossible come to life. As a server-side software engineer at Shazam, you will collaborate with other engineers and product managers to design, develop and deploy highly scalable software that serves hundreds of millions of users. The role sits within our server-side team based in our London office, the tech hub of Shazam. The teams have autonomy in choosing technologies, designing solutions and bringing improvements. The server side software runs on a Linux environment and uses GCP and AWS cloud technologies. The software is written in Java, Kotlin and GoLang.
- Significant team-based software engineering and development experience in Java, Kotlin or GoLang.
- Some experience of writing APIs that use cloud technologies (e.g. GCP, AWS).
In this position you will be working on the server-side features that have a significant product impact. We expect that you will shape our software engineering and server-side engineering practices, to continually improve quality and development efficiency. You will be involved in daily standups and discussions regarding ongoing issues and future plans, you will write clean code using TDD, you will refactor existing code to drive up quality and contribute to system architecture and design activities. Alongside your team, you will support the team’s services in production including the cloud infrastructure.
Education & Experience
A graduate degree relevant to software engineering or equivalent experience. Minimum 5 years' experience in software development.
- - A passionate software engineer who cares about building maintainable, readable, testable software that solves real user problems.
- - A dedicated lifelong learner who is always looking for new things to learn and try.
- - A professional engineer who loves crafting, analysing and troubleshooting large software systems.
- - An excellent communicator who builds collaborative relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- - Have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, tenacious in sticking with a problem until it's resolved once and for all.
- - A great teammate, but you can work on your own initiative as well.
- - Always actively looking for ways to improve Shazam's services, and take personal ownership for the quality of the services we offer.
- - Demonstrate personal accountability, owning the decisions and mistakes that you make.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.