Legal Counsel, Music Publishing
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Apple is a place where extraordinary people gather to do their best work. Together we create products and experiences people once couldn’t have imagined — and now can’t imagine living without! This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional lawyer to join a fun, challenging and rewarding environment. The position will be primarily focused on providing full legal support across music publishing matters that impact the Apple business on a global basis (outside of the US), including for Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Channels and Apple Fitness+. We are passionate about music and technology, and we want someone like-minded to join our team! You will have a good level of hands-on experience handling digital music licensing negotiations across multiple territories and will have a strong understanding of the complex rights issues at play in music publishing. You will be knowledgeable about the digital music market and the music publishing industry, in particular the workings of music publishers and collection societies. Working for a company that invents entire industries means you will be challenged to creatively apply your legal and licensing experience to new and often unexplored scenarios.
- Demonstrate a minimum of 4 years relevant legal experience (private practice and/or in-house experience).
- Knowledge and experience of music publishing licensing in at least Europe, but preferably on an international basis (with experience of licensing in Asia being a particular plus).
- Experience in drafting and negotiating complex and groundbreaking music license agreements.
- Outstanding negotiation, problem solving, communication and drafting skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, make difficult decisions, break down complex issues, and balance risk with business need.
- Ability to issue spot and advise on legal and licensing implications while furthering business objectives and goals.
- Have a strong work ethic and demonstrate the ability to work in a collaborative and team driven working environment.
- Confident in handling multiple projects when working towards strict deadlines and have strong organisational skills.
- Passion for building strong relationships with rightsholders.
- Knowledge of issues relating to the remuneration rights of audiovisual authors would be a plus.
- English is required. Additional languages are a plus.
Managing the negotiation and drafting of music licensing agreements with music publishers and collections societies around the world. Analysis of complex legal and licensing issues across a wide variety of jurisdictions. Working with external counsel where required. Advising internal business teams on how music publishing matters impact proposed business plans. Developing strategic plans and workflows to achieve licensing goals within set time frames. Managing significant licensing workloads whilst staying organised and keeping internal business teams regularly updated on progress. Working on the resolution of third party disputes and copyright board proceedings. Working hand-in-hand with the music publishing commercial and operations teams in London and the US whilst also seamlessly collaborating with the wider music and business teams around the world. Manage matters relating to the asserted remuneration rights of audiovisual authors (such as directors, screenwriters and actors).