Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is seeking an outgoing and enthusiastic product architect to join the Special Projects Group. The successful candidate will take a lead role in the development and will be responsible for maturing this layout through to production feasibility. This engineer will bring cross-functional teams together and use engineering fundamentals to negotiate and deliver optimized solutions that meet the product attribute targets. To be effective in this role, this person will need to collaborate successfully with both internal and external stakeholders. If you want to work at the intersection of design, superior performance, emerging technologies, and mass production, and have a data-driven approach to problem solving, this role is for you.
- 5+ years leading product integration reviews and driving optimization studies in order to ensure design solutions are aligned with product attribute targets
- Robust understanding of the engineering and design development process for large, complex products in a multi-disciplinary organization
- Experience with mockup designs to support user experience studies
- Experience supporting virtual builds, physical prototype builds, and pre-series production
- 5+ years experience using CAD as your main communication tool, NX preferred
- Experience with product lifecycle management tools is an advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues
In this role you’ll be responsible for generating alternative package layouts that meet the high-level product targets and then working with the broader design teams and attribute leads to optimize and refine these layouts so that the right solution is chosen for the product. You’ll also work closely with the various design teams and will be responsible for driving the engineering to design convergence process. This will require you to have an appreciation for the importance of styling within the product development process and propose creative solutions that meet the styling intent. Part of the role will require you to design mockups and prototypes to support user experience studies required to validate design and styling concepts. As the design progresses, you’ll be expected to work with the manufacturing and assembly teams to optimize the design for mass production and support virtual and physical studies to validate design ideas.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s or Master’s in Mechanical Engineering or applicable fields.
- Expect to travel to external vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities. This is a role in Product Design. Although travel is expected, it is at reasonable frequency.