Product Test Mechanical Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple and help us leave the world better than we found it. With the growth of Apple’s service business, we are creating new opportunities for individuals to work on exciting new products at Apple. We are seeking an individual with strong mechanical design engineering skills. You will be based in the Cupertino area and will have an active engagement with the hardware design, test design and operations teams in Apple.
- Experience working on NPI projects in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with materials selection and design of pneumatics & electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience with industry standard CAD design software.
- Experience applying GD&T, tolerance stack up analysis, and basic metrology.
- Knowledge of failure analysis techniques and equipment.
- Experience qualifying equipment. This includes planning, developing and implementing equipment qualification procedures, as well as compiling data and making recommendations using appropriate statistical metrics, tools and reliability techniques.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing factories.
- Experience sourcing equipment and fixtures from third-party suppliers.
- Experience with hands-on trouble shooting of mechanical and electrical equipment
- Experience with basic electrical troubleshooting is desirable.
- Strong written and oral communications in both English and Mandarin.
- Strong relationship building, teamwork and peer influencing skills.
- Clear ability to self-manage priorities and work deliverables.
- Flexible, adaptable mind-set. Able to lead multiple fixture designs simultaneously.
- Ability to create practical and innovative solutions.
- Three to five years in a mechanical engineering role with experience in fixture design.
The candidate will design, source and qualify the necessary mechanical tools, fixtures and equipment required to support worldwide production and test of service modules. This involves close interaction with many different teams across Apple both in the USA and in China, including Apple Product Design, Hardware Test Engineering, Operations Test Engineering, AppleCare and various business teams. Additionally, the there will be close interaction with a number of Apple’s manufacturing partners and leading equipment suppliers. Responsibilities include: Figuring out test fixture requirements Developing mechanical design concepts for test equipment Leading technical design reviews with key internal / external partners Evaluating thermal system performance for test fixtures. Leading China-based design firms and fabs to deliver test fixtures per specifications Providing on-site support for test fixture bring-up and debug during new product development at three or more different CM partners. International travel is required
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering (or closely related field) MS in Engineering (preferred, but not required)