Materials Engineer - Colors & Pigments
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We are looking for an experienced color, materials and finishes engineer to join our Polymer Engineering team.
- BS in chemistry, plastics engineering, chemical engineering or material science or requires 5+ years of color matching experience.
- Experience working with pigments and dyes.
- Experience with plastic compounding and material properties is preferred.
- Experience in managing complex development programs with global suppliers.
- Excellent project management, written and oral communication skills are necessary.
- Domestic and international travel required.
• Lead the development of new color matches for plastic materials to meet the aesthetic requirements of our designers and performance requirements of our engineers across a wide range of part designs. • Collaborate with industrial design, material engineering, product design, quality engineering and supplier management groups on new color match development and color design feasibility. • Foster collaborative relationships with Apple’s material suppliers in order to manage new color matches and influence their color development roadmaps in anticipation of future Apple product design needs. • Leverage technical contacts and network with industry experts to discover and develop new pigment technologies, which could be applied to Apple products for improved performance and differentiation. • Own and drive the schedule of new color matches to align with product development schedules. Create and publish regular updates to keep the cross-functional team informed of progress. • Proficient with the use of spectrophotometers, color measurement data and statistical analysis techniques. • Occasional visits to color laboratories and material production sites to fully understand their technical capabilities, quality systems and resolve difficult color-related issues.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in chemistry, plastics engineering, chemical engineering or material science or requires 5+ years of color matching experience.