SWE - Cloud Native Engineer, Security
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
The Xcode Cloud team is building new products to greatly improve the experience for millions of people who develop software for Apple platforms - developers expect the best, so our products and services must be reliable, performant, and safe. We are looking for a software engineer with a security/systems mindset, or an SRE with a security mindset to join our engineering efforts for Xcode Cloud. This position is full-time and located in our office in London, UK.
- Experience in software development and/or production operations experience with large-scale distributed systems.
- Knowledge of security frameworks, encryption standards, coding practices, tools, and exploits.
- Awareness of the established and emerging security threats for application and/or infrastructure design
- Good systems level understanding of Linux and TCP/IP fundamentals.
- Strong experience shell scripting and coding in higher-level languages like Go, Python, Java, Kotlin.
- Experience with Git.
- Familiarity with microservices architecture and modern container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes or equivalent. Knowledge of cloud platforms and virtualisation technologies.
- Experience in managing, instrumenting and scaling multi-tier web-services infrastructure in a public, private or hybrid cloud environment. Troubleshooting experience is important.
- Involvement with incident management and response.
- Excellent collaborative skills, with strong written and verbal communication. Ability to drive own projects.
The Xcode Cloud team is seeking a hybrid software/systems engineer who will be a part of the reliability and security story for Xcode Cloud and related products. You’ll join an ambitious and openly collaborative group of engineers responsible for building new features and services that power Xcode Cloud, and will partner with dedicated security teams at Apple. This role will give you: A team of highly skilled co-workers ready to mentor you, and also learn from you. The opportunity to contribute to building, launching and operating new products at Apple. Unique distributed computing problems and encouragement to approach them with an open mind. The opportunity to collaborate with talented engineering teams across a wide range of technology disciplines. The freedom to take ownership and drive meaningful improvements in the operational reliability of mission critical services. You will: Have a bias for action - experiment, collect data, act like an owner, and generally move fast. Write and review code for all codebases that we are involved with, and participate in every significant engineering effort for production systems that serve a very large scale of users. Evaluate potential security threats, participate in threat-response, and develop our technology and processes to improve our security posture. Own parts of the infrastructure like security automation, detection engineering, virtualization tech, data processing pipelines, secrets databases, release engineering, and many other things. Collaborate and partner with some of the best engineers in the industry to influence development of our broad technology stack, and improve how we do things at Apple. Support the day-to-day operations of the live environment including monitoring, measuring, and troubleshooting infrastructure and services. Participate in a regular on-call rotation to support the products, and reduce the oncall burden through code-hardening, writing automation, improving telemetry and influencing other teams to improve their areas. Achieve and maintain expected productivity levels with minimal supervision. You will be part of a focused team building Xcode Cloud, but will also work closely with the other cross-functional organizations within Apple. Here you’ll find that we: Have a wide range of experience, from new engineers to Apple veterans.. Provide a peaceful work environment where you can choose when to socialize and when to close find your own space and focus. Have an encouraging and growth-focused workplace culture. Encourage you to use accrued vacation time and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Education & Experience
Bachelor or Master degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent Relevant industry experience is important but we are ultimately interested in your demonstrated abilities and attitude. Your previous roles may have included Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), Production Engineer, Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, etc.
- Knowledge of security principles, techniques and protocols
- Knowledge of macOS
- Kubernetes related certifications
- Familiarity with CI/CD processes and corresponding tools such as Spinnaker, Jenkins etc.