Optical Sensing Hardware Integration Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. The mission of the Spectral Sensing team - Create the world’s best optical sensors by inventing state-of-the-art technologies. We develop innovative spectral sensing solutions that are central to Apple’s products - the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Home products! New challenges arise every day that require the sharp problem-solving skills. Are you in for the challenges? We are looking for a Hardware Engineer that can help close the gap between design and manufacturing by working closely with the factory teams to lead the integration of spectral sensing technology into our products. This is done in partnership with multiple discipline teams including, but not limited to Factory, Product Development, Display, Hardware Test Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Reliability, Architecture, Firmware, Silicon, Safety, Thermal, Operations, Regulatory, Software, Quality Assurance and more. Location: Due to the factory locations around China there is flexibility for this role to be based in either Shenzhen or Shanghai, with the necessary travel required to support builds happening in various locations and factories.
- Hands-on working knowledge in electrical engineering, optics, optical metrology and lab equipment (microscopes, spectrometers, detector, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- Strong understanding of sensor design and characterization
- Proficiency in scripting/programming language and software for data analysis, visualization and interface to sensor/device, for example Matlab, Python, C, JMP, Excel.
- Hands-on experience in prototype bring-up, debugging, and functional verification.
- Experience with high volume product design and manufacturing as well as statistical production tolerance analysis.
- Good understanding of Gauge R&R methodology is a plus.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and appetite for innovation and rigorous solutions.
- Strong communication (written & verbal) in both English and Mandarin.
- Team player with the ability to work independently and drive things with minimal supervision.
Key responsibilities for this role include providing critical on-site support for factory builds during early prototype and engineering build phases of various Apple programs leading up to Mass Production. This requires you to be able to dig deep into any problems that may arise during a factory build and think critically to help resolve them in a fast paced, data driven environment. You will be expected to meet a high standard for analysis and manufacturing discipline, and work with cross functional teams all around the world to enable us to pass all specifications and requirements necessary to ship a product. - Visit factory line frequently as needed, and monitor/catch/raise any relevant system integration issues - System-level problem solving - failure analysis, root cause & corrective action proposal - Use scripting skills to automate data collection process and extract key information from data analysis - Design of Experiments (DOE) creation, documentation, execution and data analysis - Review and analyze build data to help inform critical program decisions. Provide detailed build report summaries and present findings with clear summaries and takeaways. - Build close collaboration with Optical Sensing team and relevant Apple in-region teams - Frequent business travel required, up to or exceeding 50%. (Primarily within China. To a lesser extent to USA.)
Education & Experience
- - BS in Electrical Engineering or Optics or Physics with + 3 years of industry experience