Product Design Intern - Softgoods
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Apple is a place where extraordinary people gather to do their best work. Just be ready to dream big. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Imaging what you could do here. At Apple, creative ideas have a way of becoming wonderful products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there’s no telling what you could accomplish. At Apple our products begin with our people. By hiring a team with strengths we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring engineers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we build experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for people to do the greatest work of their lives. Why Softgoods? Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these materials to improve Apple’s existing product lines and to enable new technologies. Delivering extraordinary Apple products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and forward-thinking approach. We have a hardworking team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We work together in appealing, customized labs where we design, engineer and develop the best Softgoods products in the world. If this sounds like an exciting challenge, we hope you will consider a place in our team!
- - BS/MS/Ph.D in Mechanical, Aerospace, or similar Engineering field required
- - Strong understanding of engineering fundamentals (beam bending, free body diagrams) and ability to creatively apply concepts to new problems not listed in engineering textbooks.
- - Strong analytical problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques.
- - Proficient in 3D and 2D CAD – NX a plus
- - Proficient in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques (SPC), functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing (GD&T)
- - Detail orientated, proactive thinking, and capable of prioritising multiple assignments under high pressure.
- - Good in English written and verbal communication.
- - China based position – Shenzhen or Suzhou.
We are looking for a highly motivated product design engineer. As a member of our collaborative, multi-functional design team, you will be responsible for conceiving, crafting and producing exciting new products. You will work closely with US and Asia based Product Designers and many other multi-functional groups, including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Operations and Reliability.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/Ph.D in Mechanical, Aerospace, or similar Engineering field required
- Certain experience crafting products applying a variety of engineering materials MS in Mechanical Engineering Knowledge of Softgoods materials (synthetics, leather, adhesives) Knowledge of Softgoods assembly process (bonding, cutting, stitching) Experience with design of assemblies for high volume mass production Experience with plastic and metal part design, and fabrication techniques. Joint development with international customer or colleagues. Study/Work in US/UK/Europe/Japan. Team work with OEM/ODM vendor. Post operation (2nd operation) knowledge on plastic, metal part, including assembling, fixture design. Mandarin language skills a definite benefit.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.