GIO UNIX Systems Engineer
Cork, County Cork, Ireland
Apple is a place where extraordinary people gather to do their best work. Together we create products and experiences people once couldn’t have envisioned — and now can’t imagine living without. If you’re excited by the idea of making an impact, joining a team where we pride ourselves in being one of the most diverse and expansive companies in the world, a career with Apple might be your dream job. We are a global community of UNIX engineers who work together to operate a very-large scale, multi-vendor compute environment. We serve as the central point for monitoring, event management and coordination of resolution efforts for our GIO teams. In short, our operations centre team keeps Apple’s world-class, global systems infrastructure running. We are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate person to join a dynamic and exciting team to investigate, identify, and implement solutions in a challenging environment. We are looking for a highly motivated systems administrator who has the skills and experience to support Apple's global infrastructure. You will be skilled in cross-organisational collaboration, liaising with internal teams and external equipment providers to operate and maintain our compute infrastructure. You will develop and maintain clear documentation and procedures associated with operations and known issues.
- In this role, you will provide front line support of Apple’s large and geographically diverse compute environment to address a wide variety of business challenges. You will feel comfortable in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with the ability to multi-task and provide operational support to various businesses within Apple. This position requires a person who will enjoy working in multi-functional global groups.
- Your responsibilities will include working on tickets and break fixes, maintaining and upgrading existing software to the correct release level, and sustaining operations, as well as contributing to technical and procedural documentation.
- You will obsess over minute details and drive operational excellence in every aspect of their work to deliver the best possible customer experience. In addition to the required technical Linux skills, this position will also draw on strong interpersonal skills and an individual who enjoys the dynamic nature of Apple’s environment. If you enjoy close collaboration, open and active discussion, and following through on the details, we believe you’ll be a great addition to our team!
ESSENTIAL SKILLS - Experience supporting Linux/UNIX systems in large environments. - Working knowledge of Red Hat-based operating systems. - Coordination of maintenance and event resolution efforts between customers and vendors in an enterprise environment. - UNIX-related software/scripting development in one or more of the following: Perl, Python, Ruby, shell. DESIRABLE SKILLS - Proactive incident management and ticket creation based on event log and performance measures. - Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Git. - Analytical and organisational skills, including proven abilities to adapt to dynamic project environments, while able to manage multiple concurrent projects.
Education & Experience
BS degree or equivalent experience. LPIC-1, RHCSA or equivalent experience.
- Flexibility to work in a day-time shift pattern.
- Professional to expert level certifications preferred.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.