Unix/Linux/Storage Customer Service Engineer
Software and Services
Core Responsibilities: Support large scale compute environment, dealing with compute and storage through solid unix/Linux skills and storage knowledge. In addition, you will: Troubleshoot UNIX systems. This may include connectivity and remote access issues, secure access, disk space allocation, and system error troubleshooting. Automatically Install and configure Unix/Linux and Storage machine. Demonstrate initiative and sound judgment within established guidelines and procedures to assist engineering customers in accessing systems and troubleshooting problems. Be part of a global organization developing automation solutions for large scale compute environment. Help defining actions that can prevent repeating customer requests based on your experience in the field. Follow department guidelines to assist engineers in gaining access to project related data. You will use your customer service experience in support of Apple's world class engineering teams. Apple customer service engineering staff must possess the ability to effectively communicate with engineers and co-workers over the phone, in person, and via email or chat. Therefore, excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.
- 3+ years of Unix System Administration experience. Current knowledge of Linux is required.
- Knowledge of large scale storage environment is advantage
- Knowledge and experience in monitoring environment is an advantage
- Excellent customer service skills.
- In addition, you will have advanced knowledge in the following:
- Other software/protocols: VNC, X11
- Shell environment knowledge (bash, tcsh)
- Scripting experience: shell, perl or python
- Mac OSX knowledge is an advantage
The candidate will be working within a heterogeneous environment Linux. There is a full range of back-end services that require customer support including, disk space allocation, work area management, compute and special purpose servers, virtual machine and X support. In addition to Linux debugging activities and automation solutions.
Education & Experience
BA/BS Degree in a technical discipline.