MAC System Engineering Manager
Apple is one of the world’s most successful businesses. We are primarily a consumer electronics business producing hardware (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, AirPods, Apple TV), software (iOS, MacOS, Safari) and services (Apple Music, App Store, iCloud, News+ and Apple TV+). Over 1.4 billion of our devices are currently in use across the world, whilst Apple Music has over 60 million subscribers globally. We care about what we do, and believe Apple is a force for good. Apple is a company full of disruptive ideas and innovative people, who are also committed to upholding the highest moral, legal and ethical standards in everything we do. We believe technology can serve humankind's deepest values and highest aspirations. Protecting individuals’ privacy, promoting diversity and inclusivity, providing products that educate, and are accessible to all needs, are fundamentals within our business.
- At least 10 years of industry experience in wireless MAC systems engineering
- At least 5 years of engineering management experience, including prior leadership of MAC system engineering team(s)
- Extensive technical background in one or more of the following:
- MAC system engineering, including familiarity with media access protocols and related industry standards
- Wireless MAC standards, such as those found in IEEE 802.11, 802.15, Bluetooth or 3GPP
- Communications systems, including familiarity with Radio and PHY layer concepts
- HW / SW partitioning and the related tradeoffs, including how to balance those for optimal power consumption, die area, flexibility, etc..
- Firmware development principles and methods, including FW regression testing, QA, and protocol interoperability testing
- SoC development, low power design and implementation, and digital architecture fundamentals
- Excellent organizational skills, including experience managing system engineering teams
- Excellent communications skills – both written and oral
In this leadership role, you will be responsible for leading a MAC system engineering organization to specify and develop state-of-the-art wireless silicon for application in Apple’s products. Responsibilities: - Leadership of the MAC System Engineering team responsible for development, delivery and maintenance of new wireless silicon and corresponding firmware for future Apple products - Develop innovative system architectures and protocols to deliver best-in-class performance for the MAC subsystem of custom wireless silicon solutions - Introduce cross-domain features where opportunities exist for innovation to achieve enhanced performance - Produce MAC architecture, specifications and corresponding performance / reference modeling in support of digital HW and FW design and verification efforts - Develop and maintain a MAC systems infrastructure applying the best methodologies for system-level simulation, pre-silicon prototyping (including emulation and FPGA prototyping), FW QA, regression and MTBF testing, and system verification to ensure first-time design success - Support the delivery of new wireless technologies to the Product Systems teams
Education & Experience
- MSEE or PH.D. in Electrical Engineering