Software and Services
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they craft the kind of wonder that’s revolutionised entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Do you love crafting elegant solutions to highly sophisticated challenges? Do you intrinsically see the importance in every detail? In the Core Operating Systems group, you’ll ensure the OS is inseparable from each device’s identity as a whole. That’s because this group is committed to building fully coordinated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies, such as iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. By crafting these distinct, integrated user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the excellence people expect from Apple devices. The Kernel Technologies team within Apple's CoreOS organization is responsible for developing and supporting core kernel components key to just about every one of Apple’s products. Our software runs on your wrist as part of watchOS; in your pocket with iOS; on your desk in macOS; in your living room with tvOS; on the devices owned by your friends and family; and hundreds of millions of devices beyond those. This position requires a solid understanding of operating systems fundamentals, including kernel design and implementation. We primarily deal in the virtual memory and IO subsystems within the kernel, but will work in any part of the kernel or low level user space as needed. We routinely serve as guide system sleuths up and down the entire Apple stack. Our company is one of the last vertically integrated systems shops remaining, and as such our engineers have the unique opportunity to roam the system freely, from Apple Silicon design all the way up to Apps and the cloud.
- A genuine passion for operating systems technology
- In depth understanding of kernel internals
- Linux kernel experience - Advantage
- Proficiency in at least scripting language - Advantage
- Proven creative and critical thinking capabilities and troubleshooting skills
- Proven track record to design for testability, and develop well-tested solutions
- Familiarity with modern processor architecture (e.g. memory hierarchy, multicore, multithreading, etc)
- Highly professional, with the ability to multitask and deliver proven work on tight schedules
Work with a highly skilled engineering team in the design, implementation and support of kernel technologies.
Education & Experience
Bsc in Computer Science or equivalent experience and skills.
- Preferred Experience: iOS or macOS exposure, Darwin/Linux/BSD/UNIX kernel experience. Ability to break down large problems into testable sub-components, Kernel virtual memory experience a plus. Experience in adjacent technologies a plus, e.g. firmware developers, driver writers, file systems.