Siri International - Language Engineer - India
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Machine Learning and AI
Join the team that engineers Siri for international markets. Our team is primarily responsible for making Siri the best worldwide digital assistant. Teaching Siri how to understand and speak new languages is the main goal of our team, together with designing and implementing a highly customized experience for our users. We are a deeply diverse and passionate group dedicated to bringing the future of intelligent assistants to the world. We are looking for a highly motivated English speaking engineer, with strong software engineering skills and high sensibility for Indian languages and culture. Play a part in the next revolution in human-computer interaction. Contribute to a product that is redefining mobile computing. Create groundbreaking technology for large scale systems, spoken language, big data, and artificial intelligence. And work with the people who created the intelligent assistant that helps millions of people get things done — just by asking. Join the Siri International - India team at Apple.
- Strong Software Engineering Fundamentals.
- 3 years experience in at least one of the following: Java/C/C++/Objective-C/Python.
- Quick prototyping, scripting and tool development (Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell,..)
- Experience with one or more version control systems.
- Familiarity with machine learning methods for classification, regression, or ranking problems.
- Knowledge of Text Processing and NLP techniques.
- Analytic mindset and obsession for data with a drive to improve metrics and performance.
- Outstanding problem solving and critical thinking skills and getting-things-done attitude.
- Proficient in English and awareness of how English is spoken and used in India.
- Native-proficiency (reading, writing and speaking) in one local language
- Excellent verbal and written communication, team player mentality and collaborative in nature.
We are looking for proven ability to be creative, take ownership of a project, a superior technical expertise, and a knack for solving problems that stump most engineers. Having worked on shipping products and being familiar with the rush to the finish line is highly desired. This is an opportunity to shape the future of human - computer interaction, and walk the state-of-the-art of a nascent field. Specific responsibilities will include: Engineering Natural Language Processing components specific to Indian English and/or other local languages. Using the power of large amount of data to tackle complex NLP and machine learning problems. Leading data annotation efforts and define language specific representations, conventions and techniques. Analyzing data and making data driven decisions to improve the localized user experience. Automating and integrating workflow from diverse systems. Providing insights and suggestions towards innovative new approaches and new product features tailored to -your home- India market. Developing creative solutions to complex issues. Interacting with other teams at Apple working towards the same goal; from Speech Recognition Specialists, Data Scientists and Speech Synthesis engineers.
Education & Experience
Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Engineering, or related engineering fields and 5 years work overall experience.
- Desired (but not required) experience/skills:
- Consistent record in shipping user facing products and features to international markets.
- Demonstrated ability to write thoughtful, maintainable code under tight deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Practical work experience in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning or related sub-fields.
- Proven ability of using creative approaches for solving complex problems.
- Interest in diversity and cultural differences and how they affect user experience.