Manufacturing Design Engineer
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming excellent products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- Proven experience in Manufacturing Process Engineering
- Good written and oral communication skills, proficient in English.
- Direct experience handling functional engineering team is an added advantage.
- Excellent product / project management skills, work in a matrix org
- Hands-on experience and technical knowledge in fixture design and various production processes such as CNC (milling, lathing), forming (stamping, forging), surface finishing (polishing, blasting, lapping, an- odization), coating (ink, paint), and assembly (gluing, laser welding, heat staking, ultrasonic welding).
- Experience with Statistical Process Control and Process Capability (Cp/Cpk) to make data driven decision.
- Must have experience in understanding drawings, TAs, and GD&T
- On-site build support; must be willing to work from OEM factories.
- Ability and willingness to work independently and travel (within India)
- A teammate who is self-motivated, results oriented and detailed oriented.
In this highly transparent role, you will handle the development and production ramp of manufacturing pro- cesses for mechanical enclosures for our legendary products. You will act as Technical Lead in communicating project readiness, identifying risks, and driving technical issues to closure Responsibilities include handling transfer of existing processes into our suppliers, developing new pro- cesses, conducting DOEs to validate process capability, qualifying processes for mass production, and completing Audits for SOP compliance Partner closely with Cupertino-based MDEs in the development of above said processes. Partner with Global Supply Managers to develop new equipment from RFQ through factory implementation, and manufacture and deliver material to downstream supply chain nodes on time and on cost. You will work with Manufacturing Quality Engineers to drive yield improvement through analyses of part quality, defect pareto, and SPC. A heavy emphasis will be on working with suppliers to define and refine mechanical tooling and fixtures, and establishing process capability and readiness. Coordination of activities and direction through clear communication between the Asia and US-based teams, and vendors is a necessity. You may audit supplier secondary processes and assembly processes as well as support product phase builds from prototype through ramp and mass production.
Education & Experience
College degree in Mechanical / Industrial Engineering and/or relevant manufacturing work experience.
- Has High Volume, Mass production CNC machining experience (not just working in a small machine shop)
- Hand’s on CNC programming experience in "G-Code" (the programming language used for CNC machines)
- Experience with CNC Fixturing - this is meaningful for us - the candidate ideally has experience with design of CNC machining Fixtures. (the equipment that holds the part while it is being machined)
- Hands-on CAM experience (Computer Aided Manufacturing software) - we would want somebody that has experience preferably with Unigraphics NX (the CAM software package we use)
- Fanuc Controller experience - the type of computer used to run these machines.
- 4-Axis Machining - the # of axis (directions) of machining the process runs at - determines complexity. We do mostly 3-4 axis machining at Apple, which is enough for us. However some candidates in aerospace may be running 5-axis processes.
- Has robotic systems programming experience (a plus, not required)