Software Tech Lead/Manager - Apple Cloud Distributed Storage (Object Store)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
Are you a talented software engineering manager with a passion for distributed systems? Ready to be part of a focused and fun team bringing highly scalable technologies to Apple’s storage infrastructure? At Apple, scale is huge and impact is enormous — you will be leading a team with a growing mission and that is powering storage behind many of Apple’s most popular properties. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what we can do! The Apple Object Store is a massive scale storage system that provides the foundation of data storage across Apple, and is the platform upon which many iCloud and other backend systems at Apple are built. Our software is designed to manage these many exabytes of data across hundred of thousands of drives, so durability, availability, scalability and performance are our main concerns.
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing software engineers.
- 3+ years of technical leadership experience, leading software engineers.
- Ability and desire to spend 50%+ of their time hands-on coding
- Ability and desire to manage and grow a small team
- At least 7 years of experience building and operating software systems
- At least 5 years of experience building and operating distributed systems and/or large-scale production internet services
- Knowledge of Java (or C#) and non-blocking and thread safe programming.
- Knowledge of Distributed Storage, Distributed Databases, or similar mass-scale Distributed Systems
- Passion for diving into hard problems and guiding others to create novel solutions.
- A contagious curiosity about distributed systems and how to make them better.
- Directly collaborated with and offered insightful direction and feedback on technical architecture design reviews while defining the long term technical strategy.
- Actively coached and inspired your team with timely and actionable feedback.
- Passion to recruit, hire and build high-performance engineering teams.
- Use your design and coding skills, your strong understanding of distributed systems and distributed storage, and your management and coordination skills - Manage a small team of senior engineers working in our Seattle office, cooperating on epics with our Cupertino, Paris, and London development and SRE teams, and internal customer teams. - Spend your time participating in hands-on coding (mainly Java), code and design reviews, as well as participate in product architecture and strategy, and people-managing your directs. - You will also focus on growing your team with strong talent, mentoring them to success, and as the team grows, focus more of your time on design and architecture of our future generation. - Your team will be designing, building and maintaining the software & services to improve the feature set, availability, scalability and security of Apple's internal cloud infrastructure, in collaboration with internal teams, including customer teams and the storage SRE team. - We are looking for a passionate technical leader with experience in developing large-scale services and infrastructure to take a central role in designing and building our next version, and experience in managing highly productive teams. Join our friendly, collaborative, highly-motivated group!
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.