Instrumentation & Calibration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry- leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Are you up for the challenge? The Hardware Test Engineering team plays a key role in keeping up quality standards, and through work with the team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to impact products all across Apple. The team is looking for a system design engineer who is responsible for the design and deployment of calibration and performance testing equipment for motion sensors like IMUs and magnetometers. The individual will be responsible for the full spectrum of the lifecycle of the test system - from prototyping to deployment at mass production. They will work closely with the Motion Sensing design group to define calibration and test procedures, and design high precision instrumentation & systems to be able to perform this efficiently in a factory environment. Come join us!
- Working knowledge of sensors (IMU, pressure sensors, magnetometers, optical sensors).
- Professional experience designing, debugging and working with electromechanical systems
- Familiarity with programming in one or more of the following: C/C++/Objective-C and scripting languages like Python/Lua
- Experience in at least one source control systems like Git/SVN
- Experience with processing data using tools like MATLAB, JMP or Python Strong applied mathematical skills (linear algebra, algorithms)
- Experience with large volume consumer electronics calibration, testing and manufacturing preferred
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, highly cross-functional and fast paced environment.
- Experience/interest in systems engineering in a multidisciplinary environment Strong English written and verbal communication skills
The individual at this role will own the specification, design, validation and deployment of automated equipment to test and calibrate devices for Apple’s new product introduction (NPI) and mass production. Responsibilities will be tuned to match the candidate’s technical background, but you will may be expected to: Architect hardware for systems to test and calibrate motion sensors. Introduce groundbreaking technology to people around the world to make their life better Develop, optimize, and debug test software in C/C++/Objective-C Collaborate with multi-functional teams to specify and implement test c Analyze large amounts of sensor data and use data driven approaches to solve engineering challenges Perform failure mode root cause analysis and resolution, debugging from the system level down to the component level Redefine existing algorithms to optimize them for performance or execution time Balance decisions between engineering asks and manufacturing efficiency while ensuring product quality Work collaboratively with a creative and diverse team of experienced engineers from all disciplines including Systems Hardware, Product Design, Reliability, Software and Operations
Education & Experience
BS/MS in EE/CS/CE/Physics 3+ years of professional experience with at least 1 year at a relevant sensing industry role preferred
- Up to 20% international travel