SCV Special Project Group Project Manager (high end architecture/design exp.)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
In RE&D, we don’t sit back and let things happen, we make things happen and we do this in service to all Apple employees and customers. Our team is a diverse and forward-thinking group that manages Apple’s workplaces and workplace service. We develop and run Apple’s global real estate portfolio, lead all related capital construction projects, providing outstanding facilities and site services, develop and lead sustainability initiatives to reduce the environmental impact of all Apple facilities, including commute and renewable energy programs, and do everything we can to ensure the health and safety of all Apple personnel, facilities, and customers in our facilities around the world! Do you love thinking analytically? Join us, and you’ll have a significant role in continuing Apple’s legacy of efficiency and success. The SCV SPG project manager will be responsible to design and construction research and development facilities for our business units in the Silicon Valley region. You will have close coordination with project stakeholders from various teams including business units, real estate, legal, design, EH&S, energy, construction, network, maintenance, and operations to bring our projects to fruition. You will handle and support the architects, engineers, other specialty consultant and vendors, and general contractors from initial programming to construction completion.
- 10-15 years experience in corporate office construction as a project manager in North America.
- Deep knowledge of the construction industry, design process, and construction practices.
- Excellent planning, analytical, organization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well with others and create strong field and corporate relationships
- Ability to gracefully adjust to meet changing circumstances such as reassignment of project priority, implementation of design enhancements/upgrades, and customer needs.
- Dedication to deliver consistent customer service internally and externally
- Strong individual contributor. Self-starter who possesses exceptional time leadership skills and has great attention to details.
- Skilled in reading design and construction drawings for all disciplines.
- Experience with the fast track design build construction model.
- Ability to lead multiple projects including equipment upgrades and modifications within occupied buildings.
- Experience using cost tracking and scheduling software and ability to learn new project management software quickly
- Management of LEED certified projects.
- Fluent and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to fully apply Apple products to do your job as efficiently as possible.
Professionally represent Apple’s interest at all meetings with Consultants, General Contractors, and Suppliers. Engage and maintain positive working relationships with the local jurisdictions/departments. Meet with internal engineering groups, operations and business units to manage detailed project requirements. Drive both internal and external stakeholders to meet deadlines as required per the project delivery schedule. Create and maintain the project budget including securing internal approvals for capital funding. Provide budget analysis (cost models and trending) and value engineering. Engage and manage General Contractors to include competitive bidding and negotiation. Review and comment on contracts and terms and conditions as it pertains to costing and deliverables for a project or scope. Review all proposals and change order requests from the Consultants, General Contractor, Suppliers, and Subcontractors. Prepare and present comparative cost analysis. Engage and coordinate with Apple IT, Security, and the AV design and installation teams. Participate in analyzing potential mechanical, electrical, and process piping solutions and provide guidance. Oversee coordination, ordering, and installation of Apple purchased building materials, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) requirements, furniture, infrastructure components, and major equipment for each project. Prepare and present weekly status updates on project schedule, costs and cost projections to upper management. Experience with PLC & DDC building management systems with the ability to lead design discussions. Management and oversight of commissioning agents with experience in reviewing sequence of operations and test scripts. Ability to engage site operations team from design to project turn over.
Education & Experience
Degree in Architecture or Construction Management. We are looking for a highly motivated and proactive leader who can think strategically and stay connected to our customers. The ideal candidate possesses a high level of integrity, creativity, initiative, accountability, communication and interpersonal skills, with a commitment to teamwork and excellence.