Brittles Materials Coatings- Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, creative ideas have a way of becoming wonderful products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. We are looking for a Brittles Materials Coatings SME who will be part of a team tasked with developing and implementing processes that create optical, functional and decorative thin film and organic coatings and finishes for Apple’s cutting edge brittle enclosures.
- 5+ years of experience developing coating for cosmetic surfaces
- Advanced materials/process development experience
- Combination of deep and working knowledge of Thin-film Coating & Printing / Wet-film Coating
- Experience designing thin-film stacks tailored to specific functions
- Experience or skill in one of optical simulation software: macleod, TFCALC etc.
- Strong knowledge of sputtering and evaporative coating technologies
- Strong abilities and background in materials and surface characterization (understanding of analytical tools such as SEM / TEM / EDX / FTIR / XPS etc. desirable).
- Experience working with thin film tool manufacturers.
- Application processes including air atomized spray, ultrasonic spray, ink jet, screen/pad printing
- Analytical characterization techniques for wet coatings and dry films (e.g. GCMS, HPLC, SEM, OMM, CMM) and methods color/gloss, orange peel, flop, hardness, cross link density, dry film thickness
- Fundamental properties of polymers (Mw, Tg, modulus) and how they relate to film properties of paints, inks, or other cosmetic/functional coatings
- Various coating chemistries including 2k and UV cure acrylics, epoxies, polyurethanes, and polyesters
In this high visibility role, you will investigate and develop solutions to overcome challenging technical tasks that require non-standard manufacturing approaches. The following activities fall within the scope of responsibilities: 1. Assess specific coating/printing requirements and relate design goals to process, equipment, and material requirements that will be used to evaluate a set of options to solve difficult manufacturing problems. 2. Research manufacturing processes and evaluate them for their potential to achieve technical goals. Develop expert level understanding of key process drivers in order to determine how to best to leverage process capabilities. Apply that knowledge as the technical resource for other process teams to support implementation at supplier locations. 3. Plan and complete development trials to test feasibility, optimize process inputs, and validate capabilities of process options. Analyze results and provide recommendations based on sound engineering discernment as well as data. 4. Present analysis to key decision makers which will be used to make significant commercial and design commitments. A SUCCESSFUL MANUFACTURING DESIGN ENGINEER WILL HAVE: - Experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment - Ability to travel periodically domestic and overseas - Understanding of cosmetic and mechanical properties of coating materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements - Understanding of statistical analysis methods and DOE principles along with strong problem solving toolkit- FMEA, Root cause analysis, DMAIC, Fish bone diagrams, 5Whys - Experience driving corrective actions - Knowledge of quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations - Conduct yield gap studies and develop/implement plans to close. - Project management experience and ability to program-manage across multiple projects, vendors and resources. - Working experience in a wide collaborative and cross functional team including: ID, PD, quality and commercial teams.
Education & Experience
BS/MS or PhD in engineering (Chemical, Materials science, Industrial, Mechanical or equivalent)