Design for Manufacturing (DFM) Engineer - PCBA
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple products are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. Inside every one of our products, are some of the world's most challenging consumer PCBA and Flex designs. Imagine yourself as a select member of the team that brings these assemblies from concept to high volume manufacturing.
- 5+ years of experience in printed circuit assembly manufacturing processes.
- Surface mount technology process knowledge including stencil printing, pick and placement process, reflow process, hotbar, robotic/laser soldering and ACF process.
- Experience developing process quality plans, supplier quality audits, and driving corrective actions and failure analysis efforts.
- Working knowledge of printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) reliability concepts, failure analysis techniques like EDX, SEM and FTIR.
- Experience with the development and evaluation of various SMT processes
- Project management experience and a deep understanding of problem solving tools including design of experiments, root cause analysis and statistical analytical tools
- Experience with any of the following: packaging technology, chip scale or wafer level chip scale packaging technology, molding process, System in package construction
- Effective communication skills with an ability to explain complex problems to a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Good team player with an ability to work with multiple x-functional teams
- In this highly visible role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on Apple Products, and leave a footprint for years to come. We have an opportunity for an accomplished PCBA DFM engineer to lead the development, and ramp for a next generation Apple product. - Our PCBA DFM engineering team enables the mass creation of impossible products as a partner in the development of Apple's renowned designs. - Key responsibilities will include: - Attend development builds as required under direction of Operations Engineering Directly Responsible Individual (DRI). - May provide guidance and resources to contract manufacturing (CM) partner engineers. - Acts as project leader on a variety of complex projects. - Plans, develops and implements technically complex procedures for PCBA manufacturing process, rework, and testing. - Make recommendations for changes required in testing equipment (ICT and Functional test), manufacturing processes, and new testing requirements. - Designs and develops technically complex new processes to improve quality and efficiency. - Provides early manufacturing involvement to ensure new products are manufacturable. Activities include driving out costs in design/PCBA manufacturing tooling, influencing designs so that they are manufacturable, reducing complexity by using standard size packaging. - Interface with Apple Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) Subcontractor and manage technical aspects of Volume Manufacturing builds including rework processes, with direction as necessary from Operations Engineering DRI. - Ensure Apple PCBA Subcontractors/JDM partner adherence to Process Parameters and Procedures as well as approved Manufacturing and Test processes. Ensure maintenance of specified quality levels at PCBA Manufacturing sites - Travel domestically and internationally to supplier sites – 30%
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, Chemical or Manufacturing Engineering with 5 to 6 years experience working in Printed circuit board assembly or with surface mount technology at a contract manufacturer or any related experience. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.