Depth Camera Module Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Do you love taking on big challenges that require exceptionally creative solutions? Do you deeply understand how an incredible camera experience should work? As part of our Camera Technologies group, you’ll help design the innovative technology that allows each generation of Apple products to produce photos even more incredible than the last. You’ll design and develop groundbreaking ideas for everything involved in our camera systems, from sensor to lens. You’ll collaborate with teams across Apple to research, design, develop, test, and qualify camera hardware for Apple products. Together, we’ll craft a magical photography experience that redefines what millions of customers can expect from their cameras. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Camera Hardware Engineering group is responsible for all research, design, development, test, and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. We are searching for extraordinary Hardware Engineers to take ownership in the development of very high-performance compact camera modules and depth-sensing hardware such as the revolutionary TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID. We are seeking an engineer to take leadership of camera hardware projects in engagements with product and technology teams for Camera and Depth Design and Integration.
- This role requires the ability to learn quickly and become familiar with several different technology areas. At least 2+ years relevant experience in camera/depth technology or related electronics industry.
- Ability to lead a multi-functional team of Apple and vendor engineers to address complex, time-critical problems is a key requirement.
- Able to communicate and convey ideas clearly and concisely.
- The applicant will be familiar with at least 3 of the skills listed below:
- Design and tolerance analysis of highly constrained, high-volume actuators or translational mechanisms.
- Electronic circuit and system design including power and signal integrity.
- Understanding of geometric optics and image quality evaluation including test charts, algorithms, and lighting.
- Image/depth sensor design or characterization.
- Laser and/or photonics integrated circuit design, fabrication, testing
- Compact module manufacturing processes such as sensor attachment, flex attachment, active alignment, etc.
- Failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, X-ray, CT scans or SEM. Demonstrated ability in root-cause and corrective-action analysis.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, data reporting, and visualization.
- Proven track record of successfully delivering new products into mass production on time, meeting yield and efficiency targets.
- Definition and trade-off studies of camera/depth optics, sensors, actuator, and packaging. - Interaction with optical, electrical, process, controls systems, sensing, test, and mechanical teams on integration of camera hardware into products. - Leadership of offshore manufacturing partners on camera design evaluation, module prototype builds, and qualification. - Leadership of failure analysis and corrective action implementation at manufacturing sites, including assembly processes, testing, and calibration; parametric-data analysis of end-of-line yield and post-reliability failures. - Evaluation and debugging of camera HW at module and product levels for Camera/Depth Design and Integration. - Documentation of camera-specific design, test, and manufacturing requirements. - International travel may be required to supplier facilities for product development and production bring-up.
Education & Experience
Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in a relevant field (Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Optics, or equivalent)