Power System Design and Integration Engineer (HWEE)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. The mission of the Wireless Power Technology team - Create the world’s best Wireless Charging user- experience by inventing state-of-the-art technologies. We develop bleeding-edge Wireless Charging designs that are central to Apple’s products - the iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, AirPower and more! New challenges arise every day that require the sharp problem-solving skills of individuals. Are you in for the challenges? The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity & innovation. We design, develop & launch next-generation Wireless Power Technologies in Apple products. We believe the future is Wireless!
- Experience / background in Power & Magnetics (Electromagnets, Motors, Transformers) preferred
- Proficiency in Cadence Allegro or other schematic capture & layout of boards
- Proficiency in Ansys Maxwell, MATLAB, SPICE or other simulation tools
- Experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification and in system design & integration - including uC & digital buses (SPI, I2C)
- Proficiency in Python, C/C++ or other scripting languages and comfortable with a fast-paced environment and appetite for Innovation, Rigor & Healthy Paranoia
- Strong communication (written & verbal) & problem solving skills - self-starter driving problems to
- Experience with high volume manufacturing and statistical production tolerance analysis as well as in supporting contract manufacturers & designing high volume products (concept-to-production)
- Limited international travel will be required
We work in New Power system design & Integration from Prototyping to Production. In this role, you will - Involve in new power technology proof-of-concept investigations and power architecture down-selection using key performance metrics. - Work with Power system analytical modeling, design simulation & analysis for prediction of design outcome as well as in prototype (including new ASIC) building, system bring-up, characterization, testing and validation. - ‘Wall-to-battery’ circuit design ownership and this includes schematic capture & layout of boards & flexes. - Production system-level problem solving - failure analysis, root cause & corrective action proposal to resolve - Design Of Experience (DOE) creation, execution and data analysis - Author engineering specification & verification/validation plans. - Provide feature and specification input for future ASIC definition. - Business travel to support product development - Engage and collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop & deliver state-of-the-art Power system solutions including Mechanical Engineering, Firmware Engineering and Thermal Engineering teams - Contribute technical assessments to strategic decision-making relating to technology and investments - Draft and communicate updates to Apple executives pertaining to key development checkpoints
Education & Experience
- B.E / B.S, M.E /M.S. or PhD in Electrical Engineering (analog & mixed-signal design, especially board- level circuits) or - B.E / B.S, M.E /M.S. or PhD in Applied Physics (Electro-magnetics, Thermodynamics) or industry experience equivalent.