CDN DevOps Software Engineer
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Software and Services
We’re a diverse collection of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining our products, systems, and practices to help people do what they love in new ways. This is a deeply reciprocal place, where everything we build is the result of people in different roles and teams working together to make each other’s ideas stronger. That same real passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices, strengthening our dedication to leave the world better than we found it. As a member of the Apple CDN engineering team, you will help build APIs and tools for analyzing our performance data. Our service is used by millions of people with an iPhone or Mac and we want to make sure that we’re serving each of them in the best possible way. Apple is looking for a Senior CDN DevOps Software Engineer to join the Edge Services team. You will work in a smallish dynamic team environment and be responsible for supporting Apple’s CDN Infrastructure. You will need to excel in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with the ability to multi-task and provide operational support across a complex, global infrastructure. You are a collaborative teammate that will work across multi-functional groups and have the ability and willingness to mentor others and have a sound business approach for supporting a global deployment. The role is an “operations” role, but like other sane people we operate with software development as much as possible. We use Go, Perl, Python, shell scripts and other tools as the work requires. We’re looking for software developers with an appropriate balance of experience and interest in systems, architecture, network and software development practices.
- 8+ years experience with “internet infrastructure”
- Ability to work independently but also within a team environment
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Extensive hands-on experience with solutions in regards to large scale internet infrastructure
- Proven UNIX skills (Linux and/or FreeBSD)
- Proven scripting skills (Shell Scripting, Perl, Python)
- Interest or experience with Go (golang) programming
- C/C++ knowledge
- Knowledge of networking and security
- Knowledge of IPv6, DNS (servers and protocol), DNSSEC, and BGP Anycast a plus
- Experience with standard change management and configuration policies (get work done while not breaking things).
- Experience with monitoring tools (both open source and commercial)
- Other things you will learn about if you’re not already familiar are network routing, basic BGP logic, DNS, GSLB systems, the difference between transit and peering between networks and much more.
- We don’t expect you to have worked on anything quite our scale, but experience with large web services or similar systems (big data, high performance, distributed systems) will be helpful.
- We are looking for someone with passion and experience to have a good sense of best practices (in related work is fine), and the ability and interest to ramp up on these topics as needed.
You will evaluate, test, develop, implement, and support solutions to address a variety of business requirements. You will support the global Content Delivery and DNS Infrastructure. Fix performance issues within the infrastructure using both open source and commercial tools. Own a daily queue of tickets within documented SLAs. Be part of on-call rotation. Participate and lead changes in accordance with our change management practices. Participate on implementation teams to integrate new designs into production with minimal impact to operations. Develop and drive written procedures and standards. Develop software to drive automation and self-service. Directly interface and coordinate with other internal business groups and external partners. Drive Root Cause Analysis after unscheduled outages.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in computer science or related field; 8+ years industry experience in lieu of degree.