Sensing System Hardware Engineer (Optical Design)
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. The Sensor Hardware team design, develop, and launch next-generation Sensor Technologies in Apple products. We develop sensor solutions and technologies for Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, Apple Watch, and more. The key goal of the Sensor Technology team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. New challenges arise every single day that require the sharp analytical skills of talented and smart individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that further engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. We are looking for Optical Engineers with a strong background in design, characterization, analysis and troubleshooting of optical systems.
- Multi-disciplinary understanding of optics, general Physics principles and basic EE concepts.
- Hands-on alignment experience, preferably involving laser based optical systems and gratings
- Ability to effectively combine modeling and experimentation to drive key system design decisions
- Proficiency with numerical simulation software: Matlab, Python, Zemax, LightTools, etc.
- Experience with mechanical design for custom fixturing a plus (Solidworks, Pro/E, Autocad etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and proven collaboration and leadership skills
- Industry experience in miniaturized optical systems is preferred, but not a hard requirement.
In this role, you will: - Design and develop optical sensor solutions from concept to production - Conduct optical system characterization – for design validation, failure analysis and root cause identification - Design, build and qualify characterization tools for optical systems, consisting of illumination sources (LEDs, lasers, lamps), and a variety of free-space optical elements (lenses, gratings, prisms etc.) - Product and system simulation/analysis using different software tools to support engineering development, validation and characterization (e.g., LightTools, Zemax, ASAP, CODE V, Matlab, JMP etc.) - Analyze engineering and production data sets in order to validate module performance - Work closely with multi-functional engineering teams and suppliers in development, implementation and failure analysis of optical modules - Author regular technical communication for executive and cross-functional briefings - Overseas travel to support factory builds and production
Education & Experience
M.S/Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Optics or Physics. Ph.D. preferred.